Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bigbert22fishiz said:
What kind of substrate should i have for my fish tank?

Any kind you want depending on if you want plants or not. You could go gravel, or sand, or a substrate like fluorite or Eco complete for plants.

It's basically what you want to look at.

Mumma.of.two said:
Well you can use what ever you prefer the look of. IMO Sand is easier to clean because the waste sits on top. Gravel comes in more color varieties.

+1

Sand has the ease of maintenance if you know what you are doing.

BUT it also depends on the stock of the tank.

Some fish prefer smooth substrate like sand or small rounded gravel.

Scouser : "Sand has the ease of maintenance if you know what you are doing."

I strongly disagree. It is all personal preference, it has nothing to do with knowing what you are doing. I dont like sand, because all the crap sits on top. You cant vacuum the sand like you can with gravel. Some fish perfer sand though. Just do some research on what fish you want to see if they perfer sand instead of gravel.

NYgiantsRP said:
Scouser : "Sand has the ease of maintenance if you know what you are doing."

I strongly disagree. It is all personal preference, it has nothing to do with knowing what you are doing. I dont like sand, because all the crap sits on top. You cant vacuum the sand like you can with gravel. Some fish perfer sand though. Just do some research on what fish you want to see if they perfer sand instead of gravel.

Ok so you pick out my post when it was stated above too? Hmmm.

Your opinion doesn't change the fact that people find it easier to clean sand than they do gravel, that isn't something I just wrote its based of multiple posts by people here and other forums...

Dont take it personal Scouser, its all constructive. I just picked yours because it was the last one I read. Nothing against you. I just disagree with somthing that is purely personal preference. Its like saying "carpet is easier to keep clean then hardwood". Well its weather you like to sweep and mop, or vacuum. Ya know what I mean? Just because more people on aquarium forums say its easier to clean for THEM dosent mean it for everyone. Just giving my opinion.

Sand IS easier to keep clean... whether or not you like having all the crap on top isn't part of that. Sand keeps everything on top, which means you can easily clean it off. Most gravel allows uneaten food, etc down in it, which makes it more difficult to get out. That's a fact. Whether or not you can successfully figure out how to operate a gravel vac on sand is up to you. For me, it was never any more difficult that gravel.

You are right that it's personal preference. I have just always preferred a substrate that looked more natural to me, and was MUCH easier to keep clean, which meant keeping parameters in check much easier.

Very true scouser. But seeing as the sand compacts more and doesn't allow waste to get into. Vacuuming is so easy just run the python about an inch away from the sand. This would make it a lot faster but not really easier. With gravel, there is no way of sucking it out. With sand there is always that chance.

Sand IS easier to keep clean... whether or not you like having all the crap on top isn't part of that. Sand keeps everything on top, which means you can easily clean it off. Most gravel allows uneaten food, etc down in it, which makes it more difficult to get out. That's a fact. Whether or not you can successfully figure out how to operate a gravel vac on sand is up to you. For me, it was never any more difficult that gravel.

You are right that it's personal preference. I have just always preferred a substrate that looked more natural to me, and was MUCH easier to keep clean, which meant keeping parameters in check much easier.

Clean from what perspective? I like that everything falls in, and you cant see it and I can suck it out. Sand dosent allow anything in, so everything sits on top. So to me its isnt cleaner becasuse you can see it. Understand? Its not diffucult to use a gravel vac on sand, its simple, but when I had sand I felt like I had to vac EVERYDAY. I hated when I could see the stuff. I had light colored sand, and it drove me nuts. So I gravel vac every two weeks, so for ease of maintanence gravel is easier for me.

Not clean in a visual way. Clean in a water quality way. Think about it. All that crap gets in the gravel, it's virtually impossible to keep it completely clean, so it breaks down and adds nitrates (and potentially phosphates, etc) to your water. Now you have to make up for that with water changes. With sand, it's all up top and easily vac'ed off. I've never had an issue with sand showing stuff. That's probably a sign that there was a bit too much food entering the system if you have to vac every day to keep it clean. Heck, I haven't vac'ed my tanks in 6 months or more and the sand is virtually spotless.

Well mfdrookie516 you are lucky. I never over feed. I feed every other day. I just had larger fish, with larger poop, and notice stuff on the sand. I dont notice it with the gravel because all the mixed colors and sizes. Do you have fish that dont poop? I gravel vac every two weeks and do weekly 30% water changes, and my params are alway great, I test every other week.

bigbert22fishiz said:
I dont like real plants

Really ? Then you'd hate my tanks ;)

Smooth small gravel is a popular choice whether you prefer "Clown Puke" or natural colors is up to you. Lately I enjoy the natural colors or Black. If you choose White your fish may ( notice I say may) pale out, to try to blend. I have gravel in two tanks. I do gravel vac.

I've gone to black sand in most of my tanks as it looks great and my plants and shrimp love it. It can compact. I use Malaysian Trumpet Snails to avoid this.
I rarely ever clean my planted tanks. Water changes weekly. But I have a lot of plants and Shrimp, Snails and Cory Cats.

So do some reading. Figure out size of tank, THEN pick fish, then decide your substrate. If you want Cories they prefer smooth small gravel or sand. Otherwise their food falls between the cracks.

If you want big Cichlids some like to dig, so smooth gravel might be a better choice.

If you chose bright colored substrate, when you look at the tank you will see the gravel more than the fish. IMHO.

Enjoy !!

NYgiantsRP said:
Well mfdrookie516 you are lucky. I never over feed. I feed every other day. I just had larger fish, with larger poop, and notice stuff on the sand. I dont notice it with the gravel because all the mixed colors and sizes. Do you have fish that dont poop? I gravel vac every two weeks and do weekly 30% water changes, and my params are alway great, I test every other week.

If you have the sand more at the back and less at the front, slightly under the black trim and you won't see the waste. Also putting in a power head helps to keep it free floating until it gets sucked up..

Gravel is better at hiding waste and sand is easier to clean because it sits on top and doesn't hide in the nooks and crannys. I use both gravel and sand (as well as other substrate materials) in different tanks.

Back
Top Bottom