Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Where can I get black sand for cheap? Also how many pounds will I need for a 30 gallon tank?

I got a 50lb bag of black diamond sand blasting sand for about $8 at tractor supply and one of those should be enough for your 30 gallon.

I got a 50lb bag of black diamond sand blasting sand for about $8 at tractor supply and one of those should be enough for your 30 gallon.

Thanks! I don't have a tractor supply but they do have it at farm and fleet for $8!! Picking some up now. Thanks again!!!

Another question. What is the best way to paint the background of my tank?
What type of paint do I use?
Where do I get this paint?
And is there a specific way to do the job?

You just paint directly on the outside of the glass of the back of the tank. You can either use spray paint (only if the tank is empty) or roll on acrylic paint (I did this method for my tank because bottles of acrylic paint are really cheap). Just be sure to mask over the trim if you don't want to get any paint on it.

You just paint directly on the outside of the glass of the back of the tank. You can either use spray paint (only if the tank is empty) or roll on acrylic paint (I did this method for my tank because bottles of acrylic paint are really cheap). Just be sure to mask over the trim if you don't want to get any paint on it.

Thank you!

Do you know if there is white sand for cheap also? I'm thinkng about white sand with a black background! I love the look!

I got a 50lbs bag and I was able to do about an inch and a half in a 55g tank and I have almost half the bag left still... 50lbs should be plenty for you.

We got our pool filter sand for $7 @ ace hardware if that helps.

I got my sand and put in. Then I put the water in and I have some floating and quite a few bubbled up little sand pockets.

My question is that should I run my filter with the sand on the top or will that clog it? Or should I let all the sand settle and then get everything gong?

What I did was tie a pair if panty hose toes around the intake so it wouldn't suck any sand up & let it run. If you can do that I would & let it run about 2 hours & do a big water change then put your fish back in. It's going to be cloudy for a little while until it settles but water changes will help that.

What I did was tie a pair if panty hose toes around the intake so it wouldn't suck any sand up & let it run. If you can do that I would & let it run about 2 hours & do a big water change then put your fish back in. It's going to be cloudy for a little while until it settles but water changes will help that.

I actually don't have any fish in the tank. I'm just starting a fish less cycle! Should I wait to put all the decorations in until after the sand settles?

Back
Top Bottom