Substrate ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidlovers

Aquarium Advice Regular
My husband and I are having a debate over which type of substrate to add to our new 90 gal tank. It will be for my African Cichlids
options}
1.Crushed Coral and Gravel}husbands
2.Crushed Coral and Sand}mine
3.Crushed Coral} exspensive
4.Crushed seashells???}free on beach

I would just go straight up sand. How does your water come out of the tap? If it is a bit low, perhaps add some CC or a few calciferous rocks.

My tap water is pretty neutral a bit on the hard side. I have had issues with the PH dropping so I would prefer to put coral in as substrate, would it look dumb if i had sand and coral?

I am just not sure if I want full sand, my husband is wanting to put in an under substrate flow thingy...It looks awesome I will send the link in another post.

UGF in not the way to go with cichlids. They will dig hole in the gravel and then you wont get any filtration, cause all the water will go through where there is no gravel. Use a couple of HOB's I read your other post 2 AC 500's should do fine.

Yes cc is expensive but I got it for half price because it was on sale at my lfs.

It says, at the end of the article: "What's so neat about UGJ is that they are highly customizable. People have used them with gravel and sand."

I would put chrushed coral snad mix and watch the ph, you could add some Texas Holey Rock which will buffer the ph.

JMHO

UGJ is great if you got the time and are handy. Sand and coral mix you could put more sand to keep the cost low. A Small amount of coral in your filter would also help to raise ph if you went with all sand substrate.
I don't think it will work wit sand.
I think it would be ok with sand. The water out flow would keep the sand out of the pvc.

Thanks all!!

We are going to go with sand, as it is going to take our lfs 3 weeks to get the crushed coral in. We might add some then, but we really want to get started on cycling the tank. My hubby and our roomy got the stand almost finished tonight.
I am going to start on the 3D backround tomorrow, wish me luck 8O . Hopefully monday we can get the water in!!!

Limestone will do the same thing as the coral & its cheap usually at a local nursery. Plus then you get to stack it up into caves & give the fishes places to explore. Just boil it if you want to be careful of introducing algae.

I had limestone for a year & my pH was rock solid at 8.0. I've changed it now because I'm a newbie & didn't realize it would be quite such a problem (I want some fish who like softer water). That way you could just go with the sand & the chichlids could happily dig around.

Back
Top Bottom