substrate/bottom cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramrebel

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do you clean the substrate? Right now I have big (8-10 mm) glass bits. But if I change to appropriate gravel it will be sucked up in the water changer/filter tube thingy. Should I switch substrates? is it that important?

Ed

gravel will get sucked up, but not all the way. it usually gets about halfway up the rigid plastic tube on the siphon, then drops back down. you want the gravel to be picked up and stirred around so that more the junk in the bottom is released into the siphon.

switching substrates isn't all the important unless you plan on going with a lot more plants. if you're happy with the marbles you have now, stick with them. if you want to change, there are a few threads on how to change it without emptying the tank or stressing the fish. you should be able to find them with a quick search.

If you plan on getting more plants then I would go with a smaller gravel of 2-3mm, if you plan on staying with the one plant that you have then there is no need to change out the gravel. Smaller gravel will get sucked up about half way then fall back down to the bottom of the tank.

Marbles.... Not to attempt and supercede you Mr Burns, I worship and adore you, but I have to disagree about marbles. Marbles or glass bits arent suitable, in my opinion for a fishes natural environment. In addition they are quite large and allow debris to become trapped in between their surfaces, which can eventually lead to water fouling and diseased fish. Unless, I guess, you clean it very very very often. Sorry if I made you upset by posting this Mr Burns :cry:

I have glass bits in there now. They came with the tank and are really "pretty." Besides holding a lot of "cr*p," should I be concerned about the fishes with this kind of substrate (if I'm using the world correctly)?

Back
Top Bottom