Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Substrate change and kuhli loaches

Hello all.

I recently changed my substrate from gravel to Seachem Flourite. I use this in one of my other tanks and my plants are doing amazing in it. So I decided to switch to this. Looks nice and very natural.

I have a 10 gallon aquarium with 3 kuhli loaches amongst other fish. I tend to see them out a lot more than I used to. I'm assuming the gravel was easier to dig through maybe? I really do like this substrate though. It's very nice in contrasting with the green of my plants.

It's a heavily planted tank and I have two large pieces of driftwood in it. Or just stick with my current setup?

Any recommendations to make my kuhlis happier?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gravel is very hard for Khuli's to dig in. The substrate switch could have made them feel safer because they can dig to hide when they get frightened. The more places they have to duck for the cover the more they are out.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
Gravel is very hard for Khuli's to dig in. The substrate switch could have made them feel safer because they can dig to hide when they get frightened. The more places they have to duck for the cover the more they are out.
I'm not sure they can dig at all in the new substrate. They did just fine in my gravel.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
Since I already did my substrate change, I rather not do anything more drastic. Like I said, I like the look. I'm just afraid they aren't burrowing. There are so many places to hide though. It's literally covered in plants. They used to burrow through the gravel like nothing.

Maybe I could get sand to put in a very specific area like in the back by the driftwood. Petsmart sells 2 lbs of betta sand for $4.99. But I really don't want to change my substrate again. I honestly like the look. I care very much about my plants and inject co2 daily.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Khulies do not have to burrow. They do it in the wild to hide but as long as they have plenty of above ground hiding spots they will be fine. You could add a few small clay pots, small bottles like vitamin bottles, or other things to hide in if think they need more hiding spots. I have used egg shells broken in half, rinsed, and a small door broken out of the edge for bottom dwellers to hide in. It also helps the snails get calcium. They love the eggshells. You can also buy those small .25 cent clay pots and hide the food under them for the khulies so the other fish do not eat it. They climb in through the hole in the top to get to the food. They will be fine in your substrate.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could u maybe post a pic so we can see the layout
Old 03-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyofhockey View Post
Could u maybe post a pic so we can see the layout
Here is my tank. There are hiding spots, obviously.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes it looks very very good they should e hood

Tags
ate, change, kuhli, kuhli loach, loach, loaches, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com