substrate colour opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpellEcho

Aquarium Advice Activist
In your opinion what would look better black substrate with a black background or white substrate with a black background?

I can't decide, I want something to bring out the colours of my fish and plants make them really pop

White substrate is light having white carpet in your house with the same problems. A small smudge or dirt shows drastically while on black you almost don't know it's there.
IMO.

IMO I prefer to make aquarium that look the most natural possible. Nature in a tank. So you can mix some pool sand with dark substrate, it do a good mix.

I you want a more artificialy decorated aquarium, then you can go with colored coated gravel.

I like black substrate for planted tanks and many fish as it makes their color pop. I tend to use a very dark blue background but have used black before.

Also what kind of fish are you looking at? Certain fish will actually color themselves slightly differently depending on substrate.

If I had to choose a substrate again, I'll for sure go with my actual substrate, Fluval Substrate for planted tanks.

IMO I prefer to make aquarium that look the most natural possible. Nature in a tank. So you can mix some pool sand with dark substrate, it do a good mix.

I you want a more artificialy decorated aquarium, then you can go with colored coated gravel.

I'm not a fan of sand, I have it in my 10 Gallon

It's like soft gravel. You can break the "balls". Not like potting soil that will do a mess.

It's really a substrate made to help aquarist that want dark substrate and plants.

It's like soft gravel. You can break the "balls". Not like potting soil that will do a mess.

It's really a substrate made to help aquarist that want dark substrate and plants.

Would I still need to get a co2 system If I had that substrate? I plan on filling my tank full of plants before I get fish

You get co2 depending on your lighting level and plants you choose.

Another option would be eco complete.

Back
Top Bottom