substrate conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cowfish7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10gal running with gravel substrate.
Got some black diamond (blasting) sand washed.
First problem is that there is a very small percentage of greenish/grey particles in the sand. Washed for a looooooong time and have not been able to get it all out. Does not look great because it settles on the top surface, but I mixed it in to look better. Hopefully it is nothing detrimental, other than appearance.

I planned to put the existing fish into a bucket while I removed the gravel installed the sand. I am using only a sponge filter on the tank and do not have access to a canister.
Now I am starting to wonder if I have to wait more than a few hours for the tank to settle before returning the fish. I did a small test tank (2gal) and without aeration it seemed like it was just a few hours (or less, forgot to watch the clock) before it settled.

Is there anything else that needs to stabilize, other than the sand to settle?
I expect a bit of an issue with the loss of BB, but am hoping it would be OK to put the fish back in after a few hours. I have 4 bloodfin tetras.

I hate to say it but if you're seeing dust and particles then you will probably need some more aggressive washing. A hose works best for the black diamond sand. Also, be sure that there is no sheen on the surface of the water when you add water as there is a little bit of an oily film on the blasting sand.

Yes, I used the hose for what I thought was a long time (after having rinsed a lot before that, too), and there is definitely no oily sheen anymore. Still not entirely sure it is rinsed enough, though...

to clarify: the green/grey particles settle on the surface of the black sand, not floating in/on the water . I can mix them back in, although they are obviously less dense than the black ones.

Just give it some time. It will all settle. The fish should be fine. They live in sandy water in the wild. I don't think a few particles in your tank will hurt.

Just give it some time. It will all settle. The fish should be fine. They live in sandy water in the wild. I don't think a few particles in your tank will hurt.

Sand would be fine. The black diamond blasting sand is quite a bit different though.

How much "less dense" are we talking about here?

Sand would be fine. The black diamond blasting sand is quite a bit different though.

How much "less dense" are we talking about here?
If I agitate the sand (i.e. during washing), it's what mixes into the water column, then settles onto the surface of the substrate. I've done a test, using it on a small tank, and the water is just a little cloudy (more cloudy at the substrate level), but I think the general cloudiness is actually kinda normal for a newly filled tank? It just never looks 'crystal' right away. Get it running with fish and a filter and it looks better.

I am going to run a sponge filter on this tank, so I guess it won't get much agitation (i.e. no airstone). Really wish I had a canister, that would probably clean it right up.

I guess my real question is for anyone who has used the blasting sand and found the same material and gone ahead with the build without issue. I am wanting to put my fish back in, asap, once I start this.

Back
Top Bottom