Substrate Decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just moved my betta from my 5.5g into a different 10g, thus opening it back up again. I want to turn this into a nice shrimp tank, namely CRS. I still have a few survivors in a 1g bowl from my first attempt with them... (These ones are the hardy little suckers!)

I know that my tap runs about 7-7.2, which is a bit high for them--I know. So, I'm trying to figure out which substrate to get. I want to plant plants in the tank that are root feeders (crypts). I was looking at ADA AquaSoil but I keep reading misguiding things--shocker there. I plan on getting lower grade crystals so I'm wondering if I could just have a dirted tank with a sand cap and just throw in some IALs and alder cones and have those be the way to lower the pH.

I'm just curious as to which way do you think I should go. Because I'm still confused.

With a tank that small you could simply buy distilled water by the gallon and use it to dilute/lower the pH of your tap water. Crypts will grow just fine in sand, no need for dirt under it.

Back
Top Bottom