Substrate for 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpellEcho

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm getting a 55 gallon this weekend and am looking at options for substrate I want to do black sand but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for the stuff you get at the pet store. I keep reading controversial things about blasting sand but I think it's the way I'm going to go but being in Canada I don't have access to black diamond. Does anyone have experience with enviroblast by k&e at the TCS or OPTA minerals copper slag blasting sand?

Thanks in advance for all your help
-Alex

Why not use black play sand? Several people recommend play sand because it's cheap and safe for fish. Right now you can get a 20 pound bag for $20 U.S.

Keep calm and drum on

i asked the same thing a little while back, ended up going with pool filter sand, its not black but for the price you cant really beat it. $8 for 50ibs. Some people seem to like play sans some people hate play sand, personally i didnt want to take the chance i hate it or have problems and end up changing it out anyway. for an extra $4 i got something i would be much more happy with (and i am happy with it). At the points your paying $20 for 20ibs of sand i would just get the stuff from petsmart not play sand.

Why not use black play sand? Several people recommend play sand because it's cheap and safe for fish. Right now you can get a 20 pound bag for $20 U.S.

Keep calm and drum on

I wasn't aware that there was even black play sand. Now I'll have to look into that. Thanks :)

i asked the same thing a little while back, ended up going with pool filter sand, its not black but for the price you cant really beat it. $8 for 50ibs. Some people seem to like play sans some people hate play sand, personally i didnt want to take the chance i hate it or have problems and end up changing it out anyway. for an extra $4 i got something i would be much more happy with (and i am happy with it). At the points your paying $20 for 20ibs of sand i would just get the stuff from petsmart not play sand.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of play sand. Had it in a few tanks and ended up switching it out. I need lots of substrate and am not paying $60-80 for 60-80 lbs when I can get 100 lbs for less than $30 :p (I would prefer petsmart sand but never at the price they sell it for)

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea i just got myself 100ibs of pool filter sand for my new tank. Was yours a black friday deal?

My old tank grown in black diamond blasting sand. I say go for it.

WKqbyuBh.jpg

Why not use soil? It's cheap, black and contains sand. Oh and it provides all the nutrients plants require :D

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why not use soil? It's cheap, black and contains sand. Oh and it provides all the nutrients plants require :D

What type of soil? I never though to do that! Thanks so much :D

What type of soil? I never though to do that! Thanks so much :D

Miracle gro organic potting soil and john innes no 1 and 2 are popular choices. You want a nice mix.

For future help setting up check out my threads 'calibans dirted 46 gallon bowfront' and 'the soil substrate explained'

Back
Top Bottom