Substrate for aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverdollar101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have seen in set-up videos a dirt like substance put on the bottom of the aquarium instead of gravel, what is it , and how would it be cleaned or does it have to be.

I read in a magazine (I have it at home so can't get it) in which an aquarist uses soil from his garden to help the plants grow, but I really would have to re-read the article again to find out what he does to make it safe for fish... :)

Otherwise, there's Pool-filter sand or other aquarium-safe sands, and very fine gravel, which could look like dirt... :)

Well with the eco complete it says you could add a lyaer of non-carbonate substrate on top.

so does that mean a thin layer of regular gravel. or if you do not add that, would you have to clean the substrate or would it do it itself.

You can use Eco-Complete all on it's own with no problem. It's kinda expensive though and really only worth it if you have plants.

Some people use a layer of soil and then gravel on top, but I don't know how easy that is to do. And again, not worth it unless you are interested in growing plants.

If you want a dark substrate that isn't gravel, look into black tahitian moon sand. I have some in my 10 gallon and really love it.

To clean it, you would use a regular gravel vaccum such as the Python or any brand gravel vaccum.

Back
Top Bottom