Substrate for Betta Sorority Biotope Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning on setting up a Sorority tank, but am wanting to add some Coolies. What substrate would allow the Coolies to dig without being harmed? I've read that sand is good for Coolies, but bad for bettas. I plan on using Flourite Black, but am not entirely sure that it won't harm the Coolies.

Never heard of sand being bad for bettas, and I've seen others and myself keep them with sand just fine what is the reason they stated it as being bad?

I think it was fine sand getting in the gills or them swallowing it by mistake.

I keep my bettas with sand with no adverse effects. They sometimes like carving 'hiding-hollows' between sand and driftwood, but they've never tried to eat it. Hope this helps.

Okay, if it's safe for them then it makes things so much easier. I'm planning to get a cichlid tank, but it needs a lot of sand that costs an arm and a leg. If I get enough sand for both tanks, then it severely eases things.

What kind of sand are you getting that's so expensive?

Tahitian Moon. I just really like the look of black substrate, and I did look at other black sands, but they were for cichlids, and I don't think that I need to buffer the water any.

Check out black diamond blasting sand for the cichlids, it can be rougher so I would stick to the Tahitian moon for the khuli loaches

Thanks for the advice. I've never used sand for an aquarium before, and all the pictures of cichlid tanks that I've seen use white sand. Black substrate brings out color the best, and it makes the fish feel safer. The only time that you might use lighter colored substrate is with dark colored fish. What grit would you recommend? It looks a whole lot cheaper then the TMS. The TMS is about $25 for a 20lb bag. I need about 70lb for the cichlids.

That I would say go to the hardware store and see if they can show you samples, depends on if you're going to have cichlids that like to dig as well

I plan on getting either Julies, Cacatuoides, or Kribs. It depends on if my lfs can order the Cacatuoides or not.

Back
Top Bottom