substrate fun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simonastro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm about to start building a 375 litre tank using a fluval 404 for filtration.
I want to use sand with gravel underneath and quite a few plants.
As the lfs was in a garden centre I also picked up some
vermiculite and expanded clay - hydroleca - which both claim to be sterile
I thought it might aid the root systems

anybody used this stuff?

cheers

simonastro

[center:0f2447e2f8] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, simonastro!! :n00b: [/center:0f2447e2f8]
I dont' keep a planted tank, so I am of no help. However, if you don't get much of a response, post in the Planted Tank Forum :D

Why would you put gravel under the sand? Why not go all-sand? I'm not sure about the stuff you picked up at the garden store, but in my planted tanks I have a layer of laterite, and a layer of peat moss. Another option you have is to use special aquatic plant substrates. Flourite, eco-complete, and onyx sand are all good choices.

Vermiculite might have a hight CEC but it floats. Usually not a quality one looks for in something for the bottom of their aquarium. I bought some hoping it would absorb water and sink. Nope. Putting something over it will keep it down. But then it becomes difficult to keep it that way.

My story: I tried making a DIY substrate for some small clay pots. I used kitty litter, peat moss and vermiculite. I decided to rinse everything before putting it it the pots. The vermiculite floated; the peat turned to mush; and the kitty litter turned to mud. Everything worked out in the end - sort of. But I decided to simply buy my next plant substrate.

The sand will eventually work its way through the gravel, and you will have gravel with sand underneath before you know it.

I don't know if this helps, but I am currently reading Peter Hiscock's book "Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants" (and also his book "Aquarium Designs Inspired By Nature"). I am a beginner regarding planted tanks, and it seems to explain a lot of things that confused me. I have read parts of Walstad's book and a lot of material on fins.actwin.com, and I find the technical information overwhelming. It is sort of a lot to take in at once. Perhaps I will go over this material again once I've fully digested the above books.

Pushak, the author of the post, has a lot of info on substates on his site:
http://home.infinet.net/teban/ (see http://home.infinet.net/teban/substrat.htm)

Hiscock seems to prefer substrate heating cables and a layered substrate. He recommends a layer of silver sand to just cover the heating cables to aid heat distribution. On top of this he recommends a thin nutrient rich layer. Above the thin nutrient layer, he recommends a layer of plain gravel. The reason for the plain gravel on top is that it provides a good rooting medium, and the top area of the roots is primarily used for storage - nutrient exchange occurs lower down (hence the nutrient rich layer).

I've seen aquarists in various groups and forums highly recommend eco-complete. It doesn't need rinising, provides a good rooting medium (though some say it is a little light), and contains a lot of nutrients. It seems people get great results and it's very simple.

Others have recommended using a small amount of peat under a gravel like flourite, though I have also seen people discuss plain gravel (1-3mm grain size, I believe) or sand.

HTH, and if anyone finds any of the info above is inaccurate, please correct me!

Back
Top Bottom