Substrate level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does this look like enough substrate or should I add more?

Attachments

• 20121201_104613.jpg
    20121201_104613.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 77
I think two inches of substrate is good, there's really not a need for substrate so you can have it as thin as you'd like. I keep mine a little thicker for my plants but you don't want it so deep that anaerobic pockets form. It's hard to tell from your picture how deep yours is.
What are your plans for the tank?

Are you planting the tank?

Can't really tell how deep it is. Should probably be at least two inches deep but three to four might be better depending on what plants you are going to have.

In some spots it's 2 or so inches and in some others its about an inch or maybe and inch and a half? I have 2 anubias that I am going to put in the tank and eventually I'll get some amazon swords and put in there and maybe some other type of live plants. I have a 44 set up right now that currently houses 5 Black Skirts, 6 neons, 5 Harlequin rasboras, and 5 black neon and I'll be transferring them to this tank and just add to it.

If your going to add Amazon swords I would really suggest around 3" of substrate. Reason being is that over time amazons have tremendous root systems that extend well past the plant so you are going to want a substrate thick enough to support that type of root system without roots being visible above the substrate. I have 3 to 4" of substrate in my 220g with the thicker substrate in the back which is where my swords are.

Sounds to me like you're good then. Most plants will be fine with what you have, you can always add a little more around your plants too if you need it and I think it looks neat. That's what I did

If your going to add Amazon swords I would really suggest around 3" of substrate. Reason being is that over time amazons have tremendous root systems that extend well past the plant so you are going to want a substrate thick enough to support that type of root system without roots being visible above the substrate. I have 3 to 4" of substrate in my 220g with the thicker substrate in the back which is where my swords are.

I have more sand in the back of the tank versus the front. I have half a bag left of sand, but I've spent 2 days washing this sand and I'm so tired.. LOL But, I do have more sand in the back of the tank than in the front.. probably 3 or 4 inches like you.. so maybe I'm good for now.. I can always add sand later if I don't seem to have enough! Thank you!

I actually had to add substrate around the swords as they grew but after a year now they seem to have settled down and I haven't had to add any substrate in months. It's good you have extra to use later.

Back
Top Bottom