Substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cincotta82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I was thinking about getting my old 10 gal up and running again and had a quick question about my substrate. I was thinking about using a fine substrate this time, most likely sand. I know it takes a few days to settle, which worries me because I was wondering what was the best way to clean the tank (worried about kicking up the sand). Does anyone know the best way to clean a tank with a fine substrate such as sand. Also, would plecos, snails, ghost shrimp be compatible with thesand. Oh and since I'm posting this now might as well ask if bettas are compatible with dwarf puffers, SORRY, I read on a website they are, but dont dwarf puffers nip at fins?? Thanks for all the help guys, you've been very helpful....

I personally like the sand subtrate and think it's much easier to clean. With the sand, you don't really need to dig your gravel vac down deep to get it clean, because all the leftover food and waste will reside at the surface.

As for the DP and a betta, definitely do not put DP's in with anyother fish. They are very aggressive and will end up killing the betta. DP's should be in their own tank.

I personally feel that all fish will love the sand.

One more point with fine substrate. You will want to protect your filter, because sand will kill your impeller. A chunk of filter foam with an "X" cut part-way through it should fit nicely over your filter intake, and just rinse it off when you're doing maintenance.

...and rinse rinse rinse the sand to get rid of fines before putting it in your tank.

Have fun!

Sand substarte is defiently the easiest to clean a so pretty too fish love in becasue bottom feeders never damage their bellies on hard gravel.

polkitherm: I know exactly what you mean Sand will kill an impeller, i pratically had to take my Penguin Mini Apart to clean out the impeeler hole chock full of sand.

Dan :)

Yep, "gravel-vacing" sand is okay, you will end up with some sand in your bucket, but that is okay. I would worry more about filter issues (obviously)

thanks for the info! glad i knew not to put theh betta in with the puffers despite another website saying they would be compatible, just shows how much false info is out there, thank god for forums!

I have several sand tanks and I love it - I don't find that I suck it up at all, and the debris is much easier to get to. BTW, sand down the drain is a real bad scene too, so all the more reason to carefully swirl the debris up with your hand and suction it up. Malaysian trumpet snails residing in the sand will keep it aerated.

Also, you mention plecos, but unless you find yourself a wee pit bull pleco (Fawn has them) I don't think there is any pleco that would be happy in a 10gal. Otocinclus might be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom