Substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigRedsReefs10

Aquarium Advice Addict
I’m going to be setting up a 40 breeder for an Apistogramma pair so I plan on planting it. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get 20 lbs of eco complete and put some under/mixed with the 30-40 lbs of sand? I’m only planning on low to medium light plants, some swords, crypts, Val, annubias, and moss so nothing crazy. Also lighting suggestions would be appreciated, looking at one from beams work off amazon, or one of the Finnex models.

Beamswork DA-FSPEC with the optional dimmer.

Go with 100% sand. Eco-Complete is crushed lava rock and provides no benefit to plants.

Sand will fall through eco complete and create a mix. Not a bad thing, just not uniform. Pool filter sand and root tabs works fine. You lay down a base layer of seachem fine sand or any clay based material for rooting purposes.

Ok I’ve got like 50ish pounds of white aquarium sand I got from a guy I work with I’ll just use that. Will 2-3” be good or should I go a little deeper?

2-3" is good. Get some Malaysian trumpet snails to keep everything fluid.

Back
Top Bottom