Substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ariamus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All,

I'm going to be setting up a new tank that will ultimately be a Discus or Blue Ram / Angel community tank. For the time being, though, it will serve as the holding tank for my two Plecos and my Corys. I might also begin my Tetra community but the whole fish population will eventually wind up in my existing 75G when I move it to the upstairs hallway.

At any rate, I have little or no trouble increasing / maintaining water hardness and a level PH in the 7+ figures. But this new tank will be for Discus and I'll want to keep the water soft and the PH lower. So, is there anything I can do in the setup of this tank that will help in keeping the water conditions I'm looking for?

unfortunately, lowering the ph and maintaining it there is a far greater hassle than increasing it. peat and driftwood are known to work well, driftwood having a more gradual effect.
but from what i remember from brianny's posts, clean water is far more critical than the 'perfect' water when it comes to keeping discus.

Back
Top Bottom