Substrate Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudhog79

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

I am just getting going with my Fluval Spec 5, i had an aquarium many years ago but nothing like this. Fake plants, large gravel, HOB filter etc.

For my Fluval Spec 5 I have purchased the CaribSea Eco Complete as a substrate. I have also been told to cap it with something like aquarium sand. I have purchased 10lbs of black sand at Petco to lay down. Once i lay down the sand will i be-able to vacuum without sucking out all of the sand? As noted a long time ago i had larger gravel so it was not an issue.

I also assume i need to wash the black sand i purchased, what is the best way to do this?

When vacuuming just keep the siphoner above the sand. For washing the sand I usually use a bucket with a hose. Someone might chime in with a better way.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So you are saying when using the vacuum just skim the top vs. sticking the siphohoner down into the sand?

When vacuuming just keep the siphoner above the sand. For washing the sand I usually use a bucket with a hose. Someone might chime in with a better way.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So you are saying when using the vacuum just skim the top vs. sticking the siphohoner down into the sand?

Yep, there's no reason to suck up the sand. It compacts enough to not trap significant amounts of detritus

I have terrible luck with skimming. I have three sanded aquariums and vacuuming is a pain in my butt. We always just end up either not getting ANY poop or getting a pound of sand :-/

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom