Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Substrate questions

Hoping to eventually move the Angels & Cories from the 70g to the 100g which would be the perfect time to change their substrate.Silk plants not live as I just don't have the time or patience, even though I love the jungle look. Couple of low horizontal pieces of DW & maybe a Spiderwood tree scrounged from another tank. I would love to use sand for the cories to dig in but I don't like not being able to clean it with my python the way I do my gravel. Are there any reasonably priced alternatives?

Old 02-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fine substrate that cories like to dig will not be as vacumable as the coarse substrate that cories don't like to dig.
Vacumable or diggable - you can only have one.

Cories will get over coarse substrate if it is round enough to not damage the bristles

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I have use a rounded pebble gravel in their current tank which they forage over constantly
Old 02-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

A 1-2mm gravel should be ideal: larger than sand, so easy to clean, but small enough that it's easy on the corys.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

if you have sand your cories can do this:
https://youtu.be/AoqEdwtZqRw?t=17s

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Substrate questions

Sorry, was trying to fix the link but if you https://youtu.be/AoqEdwtZqRw?t=17s click on it then it will play.
Thatís what I want to see my Pygmy corys doing once they get out of QT.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would love this but the idea of a substrate I can't clean just doesn't work for me. Qith the pebbles they have righr now they do forage alot just can't get their snouts as deep
Old 02-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhtmother View Post
I would love this but the idea of a substrate I can't clean just doesn't work for me. Qith the pebbles they have righr now they do forage alot just can't get their snouts as deep

I did not clean my EcoComplete for over 5 years. I had a gravel vac but stepped on it and never replaced it. But it was a planted tank with a low bioload.
Now I have PFS. The hover thing wonít work for me because of the leaf litter I have scattered on the substrate. I have some MTS so i hope they keep the sand turned. Poop is really visible on light colored sand.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah and plecos are poop monsters 😑
Old 02-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

With a fine sand, 1-1.5" deep, you won't have to plunge the python into it the way you do with larger sand/gravels. Detritus doesn't get down into it, it just lays on top. Holding the python about 1/2" above the sand, and kind of swishing in back and forth over the detritus will float it up off of the sand so you can suck it right out of the water with the python.
Alternatively, if you remove the larger python tube and just use the open end of the hose, you can move that around above the sand and suck stuff right off the top. You might get the occasional piece of sand, but you will get the feel of it.

Tags
ate, question, questions, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com