Substrate replacement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua-Zodica

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon FW tank that has a few problems, here's one. :wink: THis was my first tank, and Ive learned that I shouldnt have done some of the things i did back then around 5 yrs ago. I was never really sure if i was going to get plants, so i picked a substrate gravel that consisted of large pebbles. They were like 1-2". Now, I am revamping this tank, and im wondering if I should change the substrate. The bed is around 5yrs old, and altho the plants are doing OK, I dont belive there doing the best. I was planning to use Onyx sand or Onyx gravel, which one. THnx for help, Im new here but have been keeping fish for 5 yrs. :D

Not sure what onyx gravel is, you talking about flourite? Its also made by seachem. Both onyx sand and flourite would be great substrates, and would be MUCH better than your large pebbles. But the BEST plant substrate is definately caribsea eco-complete.

There are two: sand and gravel. Onyx gravel is 5-10 mm average grain size, according to seachem's site. The sand is made of smaller grains. It seems that of the two, people prefer the sand size for plants.

Eco-complete seems to be the favored substrate these days.

Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate, 20 lbs. Caribsea @ http://www.Aquatic-store.com

Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate, 20 lbs. Caribsea. Contains iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur plus over 25 other elements to nourish your aquatic plants. Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate contains all the mineral nutrients needed for luxuriant aquatic plant growth without nuisance algae! Iron rich Eco-Complete eliminates the need for laterite. Nitrate and carbonate free - will not increase pH or carbonate hardness. It's real! No artificial dyes, paints, or chemical coatings. Natural black substrate encourages the most vibrant coloration in fishes and reduces fish stress. Spherical grains for optimum diffusion performance. Supplies calcium without raising pH. Lead free. contains live heterotrophic bacteria to rapidly convert fish waste into natural food for your aquatic plants. Creates a natural biological balance which makes cycling a new aquarium faster and safer. Packed in Liquid Amazon buffered Black Water solution for immediate organic wat…

Back
Top Bottom