Substrate sand help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wish it was easier to find pool filter sand in my area. Gonna hunt for it tomorrow and take back the play sand.

50 pool sand 50 black argonate sand!! Pretty cool mixture in my EBJD breeder tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131012_221240.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131012_221240.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 58
How much sand per gallon of water? I'll be setting up a 90 gal tank.

Pool sand is the way to go, IMO. It's inert so it doesn't affect your water, little heavier than normal sand so it doesn't stir up that easily but fish can still burrow and sift through it, and it isn't very cloudy (in my experience). I just rinsed mine pretty good. I used about 150lbs for my 120gal. Here is a link for a substrate calculator I used.

http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

Exactly what he says^^ the sand sinks right to the bottom so no waiting for it to settle! Its easier to clean IMO also. Plus its really coarse soafter cleaning itreally well your hands feel all soft! Haha

Exactly what he says^^ the sand sinks right to the bottom so no waiting for it to settle! Its easier to clean IMO also. Plus its really coarse soafter cleaning itreally well your hands feel all soft! Haha

Yup. Even removing sand is easy. Used a mixture of a gravel vac and a net lol. I love how it doesn't get all cloudy when fish are burrowing or sifting through it. Plus excess food and waste collects on the top and not down inside the sand. And for me it's all clean and gone by morning because of my catfish.

Back
Top Bottom