Substrate separator for layered substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

draX

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here's my problem...I want to set up a very simple looking, single species tank. I have a 29g that I have dedicated to the cause. I spraypainted the back and sides black, and have got a very nice big piece of mopani wood in it. I want the whole focus of the tank to be on the fish (a school of serpae tetra). I want black (or even a very dark brown) substrate, and I want to grow a carpet plant across the whole thing. I will be using hairgrass as the carpet (only plant available at LFS). Eco-complete would be the perfect choice as a substrate, but I can't get it in this country. The best I can get is a black epoxy coated gravel...which isn't so great for plant growth. So now I'm stuck. I was thinking I could try having a playsand bed with root tabs pushed in, and then the gravel over that so you can't see the sand. Has anyone done this before? I don't want to see the sand at all, and if I can't find a way to keep it at the bottom I'm sure it's gonna get mixed up. Is there something I can use to keep the gravel and sand separated? Something that plant roots etc will still grow through? Sorry for the long post...

Unfortunately, no. The closest thing you could try would be plastic canvas from a craft store, but if you replant, you'll damage teh roots very badly. Plus the sand could still work it's way up through the grid.

Have you looked for tahitian moon sand? Its probably as hard to get, as I think it's made by carib-sea also.

SeaChem Onyx sand maybe?

I've spotted flourite once at a pet shop, but no Seachem products, or tahitian moon sand. I would love the tahitian, don't mind the cost of it, but unfortunately none of these products are available in SA. Maybe I should try shipping some over, though I haven't spotted any places that do international shipping.

know anyone in the USA? maybe they could buy it and ship it to you, though it'll be wickedly expensive to ship substrates overseas.

with a UGF, it won't mix, but its equally doubtful the plants will get enough roots down into the lower substrate to make it beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom