Substrate Vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoutylad22

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, if you have a heavily planted tank how is it possible to vac the substrate? How important is it to vac the substrate?

Thanks

Russ

In planted tanks you generally don't vac the substrate. The plants will feed off of the waste that accumulates.

Thanks pittbully13. I only set up my first tank at the end of March. I'm learning every day from the people on this forum. The knowledge that is shared out from people like yourself is fantastic.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but what if you have PFS substrate, just sits on the top. Still vacuum it up right?

If it is at the surface you can hover a vacuum just about the substrate and remove it. This isn't the case with coarser substrates.
I let mine go (med-heavily planted) for 18 months and there was a ton of gunk in the substrate. I did some heavy vacuuming and water changes during a recent rebuild. Vacuuming was not possible when it was planted simply because there were no open areas of substrate. Currently there are fewer plants present and more open areas, especially at the front. I occasionally will vacuum those areas.

Back
Top Bottom