Subtropical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So just bought a bunch of panda loaches and going to set up a subtropical tank for them. Going to put them in a 20g high. Few questions about setting up the tank.

Should I bother with a heater or just constantly keep my water temp at about 70. Keep my apt between 68 and 72.

They do like a bit of water movement. Right now in a 10 with an aqua clear 20. At full they occasionally get blown about a bit. Is that ok for them. When I move them into the 20h would an aq 20 and an aq30 have enough water movement. Would a small Airstone help with extra 02

Their primary diet is algae. So going to put stones through out tank for it to grow on. Which type of rocks will not mess with ph and hardness?

Finally would like to know about tank mates. Prob want a school of white clouds. Any other peaceful fish that would work in that size and temp. Think I will also add some shrimp since they do well in slightly cooler temp.

Any other advice would be welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not familiar with the loaches but I did read your other post and I'm looking forward to pics!

If the tank remains a steady temp I personally wouldn't bother with a heater. Yours is larger but I have 4 tanks I keep successfully unheated.

Not sure about the water movement, I'm currently battling too much from my AC50....

I used to 'grow' algae stones on my apartment balcony. Put some river pebbles/rocks in a container of water, left it in the sun. You could probably try the same with wood if you wanted. Is this an established tank?

Saw a Spec 5 at a lfs with long finned white clouds, very pretty fish and the red really stands out. I keep A. australe at room temp. They also have nice color and are peaceful. You could do a pair or a 2F/1M trio.

Hope I helped some!

So just bought a bunch of panda loaches and going to set up a subtropical tank for them. Going to put them in a 20g high. Few questions about setting up the tank.

Should I bother with a heater or just constantly keep my water temp at about 70. Keep my apt between 68 and 72.

They do like a bit of water movement. Right now in a 10 with an aqua clear 20. At full they occasionally get blown about a bit. Is that ok for them. When I move them into the 20h would an aq 20 and an aq30 have enough water movement. Would a small Airstone help with extra 02

Their primary diet is algae. So going to put stones through out tank for it to grow on. Which type of rocks will not mess with ph and hardness?

Finally would like to know about tank mates. Prob want a school of white clouds. Any other peaceful fish that would work in that size and temp. Think I will also add some shrimp since they do well in slightly cooler temp.

Any other advice would be welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't worry about a heater. If you put enough wood, and various sized stones in the tank they will have places to rest if the current gets too much, here's a pic of the type of habitat they come from http://www.serk.cc/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/stream.jpg A good food to feed them is repashy soilent green http://www.store.repashy.com/soilent-green-4-oz-bag.html, I spread it on rocks for algae grazing fish. It's faster than trying to grow the right kind of algae for them to eat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom