Subwoofers and Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dg_

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently have purchased/built my first fw aquarium (55 gallon). Everything is up and running and all the fish seem to be happy.
Well, I just now realized that having an aquarium in the same room I have my surround sound in might be not ideal... yea, definitely should have though about it before. I did some searching online and have found inconclusive answers regarding this topic.
Just wanted to see if anyone here has had any issues or experience with this.

From what I have heard, however you hear the music, it's just as loud to them.

I used to love blasting my music but I keep it at a decent level now.

Caleb

Sound is vibrations

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is what I was worried about.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever broken a seal or the glass by having the volume up too high?

That is what I was worried about.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever broken a seal or the glass by having the volume up too high?

Your fish will pop before your tank does.

From my personal experience.... I have a Pro sound system in a 20x18 foot room along with two tanks, a 55 gallon African and another with Angels and Discus.
I test sound equipment and play very loud music for my personal enjoyment at levels that literally shake the walls and I have yet to see any adverse reaction or different behavior in the fish while the sound is cranking with speakers about 8 feet away from my tanks, to my benefit the room has a cement slab (basement) so there's no vibration being sent through the floor.

Big speakers move a lot of air, especially subwoofers and it would be not be a good idea having them too close to a tank since it would be almost like pounding on the tank when the music is playing at loud levels.

My suggestion is to isolate the speakers from the floor (especially wood floors) and place them away from the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks gilbi for the detailed response. Your post gives me confidence to leave the aquarium in it's current location and to just observe the fish at different volumes.

My setup, similar to yours, is also on a concrete slab. The sub I have is a dual 18" sealed with a 4000W rms amp. Definitely lots of movement on walls and ceilings, however no vibrations transferred through the flooring. The aquarium is about 15ft from the subs. I'll just keep a close on eye on it and hope to catch any signs of distress/damage early on.

Ok so I see now your concern, dual 18 inch @ 4000w can definitely move air and walls and any thing else that gets in its way.
Boy would I love to get into this topic but this is not the right forum for it ?

Fish can be sensitive to vibrations, I remember living in a second floor apartment and it's almost as if one would have to tip toe past the tanks of else the fish would go into a dart frenzy.

I'm thinking something else you can try other than watching the fish reaction, if any, is to place your hand on the tank while trying some of the levels you listen to.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Ok so I see now your concern, dual 18 inch @ 4000w can definitely move air and walls and any thing else that gets in its way.
Boy would I love to get into this topic but this is not the right forum for it ?

Fish can be sensitive to vibrations, I remember living in a second floor apartment and it's almost as if one would have to tip toe past the tanks of else the fish would go into a dart frenzy.

I'm thinking something else you can try other than watching the fish reaction, if any, is to place your hand in the glass while trying some of the levels you listen to.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

That's what I'm saying.. when I set a glass down one the stand the fish all bolt. Bounce off the glass hard enough and they're donzo..

Back
Top Bottom