Successful Low Maintenance Plants for a Paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I sit back and survey my fishroom while sipping my favorite adult beverage, I can't help but be impressed by the amount of greenery which currently resides in most of the tanks. Now, I'm not going to lie and tell you that those plants are in perfect health or that I don't have issues with excess algae in any of my tanks, but overall, for someone who doses zero ferts I feel that I am pretty successfully maintaining a nice population of aquatic plants. My biggest disappointment is plants in the paludarium style tanks. Now if you've checked out any of my threads, you know that I've been doing paludarium style tanks for a long time now and I've found a few plants that work, but not many that last long term. I'm always experimenting and looking for recommendations of other plants that will thrive in a low maintenance setting. Anybody up for a rousing discussion of good low maintenance plants to use in a paludarium type set-up?

I've found that Java moss works really well. Its ability to grow both in and out of water makes it a nice addition. While its underwater growth is pretty wild and uncontrolled, its growth pattern on wood and rocks once it begins to emerge from the water is a particular favorite of mine.

Ferns seem to work pretty well due to their ability to grow in moist to wet soil, depending on variety. Some do better than others. I've had one that I've had growing in the bog tank for over 10 years now.

I did get a short variety of water lily from one of the pond sites, and it is doing very well (only about a year old at this point, but lots of growth). Hoping to see it flower.

Home Depots Bonsai trees (probably some variety of Asian tree) has also done well long term.

Dwarf equisetum was a nice addition, but unfortunately only lasts a season or two. It must be a temperate zone plant that needs a cold dormancy period.

Our native Forget-Me-Nots also do well for about three seasons, then need replaced as they evidently need a dormancy period as well.

Terrestrial mosses I've struggled with, as I evidently don't keep the humidity high enough. plenty of moisture in the soil, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

As a member who appreciates these types of systems but never had one, I would love to know more as well.

Do you have pics of the mosses above ground, or in the transition at the waterline to above ground?

Also which Bonsai plant is it???
They sell them online too, and maybe you will see it here
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoor...Indoor-Plants-Bonsai-Trees/N-5yc1vZcd2jZbwo5o

Haven't done this in a while, so we will see how the images do.

Attachment is a photo of Java moss growing below the water line and emerging up onto the rocks in my 20 Long Bog tank

The Bonsai tree I've used is the fiscus.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Costa-F...ic-Pot-with-Saucer-6BONSAIBOWLFICUS/202204574

Attachments

• IMG_5101.jpg
    IMG_5101.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 104
Thanks, I first had the emergent growth pattern show up on a piece of wood that was in the salamander paludarium. Thought it was pretty awesome, so been using it every sense. A little hard to get growing onto something below the water line sometimes, but once it is established it just goes.

That looks like it would be a fun one as well, I don't have any experience with it to tell you if it will work or not however. One would just have to try it out and see.

Here's a list of my favorite riparium plants that like to have fully submerged root systems, but grow above water.

Cyprus Papyrus
Mexican Milkweed
Japanese Sweetflag
Peace lily
pothos

I grow all of these plants out of riparium planters in my 55 gallon planted tank. They would make really cool background plantings in a paludarium.

Arrowhead Syngonium podophyllum now come in every color variation and leaves in different shapes as well, some can grow under water fancier varieties I don't know, but as boggy plants, they are pretty happy for sure. One of my favorite plants to grow out of a planted bowl,

Anthurium are good for that and flower pretty much year round if they have some bright light - not necessarily searingly bright light, just bright sunny window light type. Wet roots (have grown then in the water/planted bowl,) - above water plant. They are great for that spathe color, which lasts a long time.

Last edited:
+1 for peace lily. I've heard great things of all of the other plants but never kept them so I can't comment. I started with one peace lily in a 3 gallon bowl with the roots in the water and leaves out of the water. It grew fat really quickly (about 2-3 months) and I had no special lights other than sunlight from a window, and no ferts. About 2 months ago I split it into 3 separate plants and I completely submerged two and one is growing emersed like it was before. All 3 are doing extremely well and I have no ferts and no special lights on these either. Only thing I would recommend is if you want them submerged to do it in a shallow area so that they can grow up and out of the water. Mine are in a 3 gallon and have hit the lid of the tank and have no where to grow anymore so I have to figure something out

Back
Top Bottom