Suction side of aquaclear HOB's overflowing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason the Lost

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon planted and like the filter, but it seems like when the tube intake is rotated into the fully open position over the intake hole, a steady trickle/stream of water flows over the edge of the tube on the suction side of the filter in addition to the discharge water.

If I rotate the intake tube to the partially open position the stream disappears and I only have water coming out of the discharge side like it should be. This is on a 70 gallon size so I don't need it open full bore to filter the 55, but this has happened with this brand of filter for me on smaller tanks also.

Anyone else experience this?

Problem is that if the thing ever gets opened up the trickle has enough force behind it that it flows onto my glass top and under the light...not good.

I had that (though I didn't try changing the intake position/flow rate). I think for me it was because the sponge was dirty and there wasn't enough flow getting through the filter basket side. Try cleaning the sponge if you haven't done it lately.

majolo said:
I had that (though I didn't try changing the intake position/flow rate). I think for me it was because the sponge was dirty and there wasn't enough flow getting through the filter basket side. Try cleaning the sponge if you haven't done it lately.

I agree, my AC30 was doing the same thing, but in my case it was the filter floss that did it. removed the floss, and it works fine. I will be adding the floss back in, but after a sponge change.

Filter is brand new, just plugged in today.

The water is parallel with the level line on the filter...dont think the leveling arm will help.

Has sponge, charcoal and the little tubey things that come with it right now, when that stuff runs its course the charcoal will be removed and another sponge added.

Jason the Lost said:
Filter is brand new, just plugged in today.

The water is parallel with the level line on the filter...dont think the leveling arm will help.

Has sponge, charcoal and the little tubey things that come with it right now, when that stuff runs its course the charcoal will be removed and another sponge added.

Mine is setup with the sponge, the bio media, and a second sponge. Is the basket all the way down? I am at a loss as to why it would be backflowing from the intake tube. Mine only did that when the water flow was obstructed...

Yeah I normally do two sponges and bio media...I needed a new filter though as I had two smaller ones which were a pain and one burnt out. So I got the 70 size and since I didnt have extra sponges, figured I'd just use the freebie charcoal bag until I can make it to the LFS again.

I have had this happen before with these filters and I always just switch the tube to the slower speed/aka reduced flow position. It seems like since this setting has part of the pump intake open its pulling the excess water through the filter and discharging it...but if I have the pump opening pulling from the intake tube only the water sits too high in the compartment causing the overflow. The basket is down all the way.

Its just frustrating because while I'm fine with the flow set lower for the gpm on my 55...all it takes is one space out when changing things and I have a potential pool of water under my light.

I have had mine for a long time and I have only seen it when the sponges are blocked with too much gunk. I would still check for level as it wouldn't take but being off by 1/4 inch for it to cause the flow to be abnormal. Mine were actually leaning too far back before I put it on and it made the impeller rattle a little. I then put the levels arm on it and took about half of the pegs off and it has been silent ever since.

I am running an AC30 and an AC50, and never had this problem, the AC30 is running full power, and until recently the AC50 was at full, but it was pounding my fish with current, so I backed it down some. The intrigues me, I am curious to find out the cause...

as far as leveling it...I don't think I can get it anymore level. Theres a line parallel with the top of the fliter and the water is parallel to both of these...I'm just assuming that this means its level as theres really no other reference point.

Got it. Turns out the charcoal media was creating such a blockage in the media basket that it wasn't allowing all the water through. Took the charcoal out and it works perfect now on low and high flow.

I just bought an AC70 for my new 44g, set it up yesterday and have the exact same thing going on...is the charcoal bag not needed?

Its not necessary. If the tank is established especially not. Right now I just have the sponge and the tubey things. Once I get back to the store I'll grab another sponge. The problem went away immediately when I took that bag out...I think its just too compact, the bags the use with that size filter are too big for the compartment if you lay it on the sponge "flat". I suppose if you stood it in there at an angle so it wasn't jammed down in the basket it would work fine too. I just chose to remove it all together.

Glad you figured it out but its definately due to a blockage of flow. This happens to me every couple weeks (planted tank) and its always a sign that my filter floss or sponges needs to be trashed (filter floss) or wrung out in used tank water (sponges). Once they are replaced/cleaned everything's back to normal.

I recommend placing the filters NOT level, I always have mine tilted slightly towards the tank, that way there is never the chance of water going off the back of the filter. Having it perfectly level has the off chance of water leaking, and in my case I have a dual intake which means in my 20 gallon tank it hangs about 4" from the substrate. If I had even a small leak that would be about 15 gallons of water on the floor......not cool.

HTH

Taelen said:
I just bought an AC70 for my new 44g, set it up yesterday and have the exact same thing going on...is the charcoal bag not needed?

agreed,

the carbon is not needed, I am only running the carbon right now in the ac50, as I had some meds in the tank. After a while, I will take the carbon out, and add a second sponge, or maybe some filter floss in the ac50...

Hmmm....glad I wasn't the only one noticing this. I've noticed it since day 1 even with new sponges.

I call AC tech support and they said this was normal for the overflow. I've since replaced the carbon with a second sponge, but it still does it. Granted, I have not yet rinse out my 1st sponge, since I'm still trying to finish my cycle.

One thing I did notice when installing the second extra sponge/filter foam (bought from 3-pack), was that the second sponge looked more porous (cavities were bigger) than the original sponge that came with the filter.

Back
Top Bottom