Sudden Algae Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I'm sure they are pigging out... however, my snails and algae eater have not shown or acquired a taste for the cyanobacteria and I don't think they ever will... I don't seem to have any large amount of algae in the tank, just this disgusting bacterial mess and it has not improved but rather gotten worse at this point..... I need some way to clear the tank of it, even if it means removing the critters and sterilizing the rest of it.... and start the bio-cycle all over...

The Betta conditioner is just water conditioner which detoxifies tap water (which you aren't using lol). It doesn't introduce the minerals that are stripped from the water during the R/O process. It's very important that if you are going to continue using pure R/O water you add back minerals with something like R/O Rite (there's another brand I can't think of at the moment) but you need to make sure it says freshwater safe on it (I know RO Rite is) b/c most of the RO mineral products are made for Saltwater tanks. The fish isn't getting enough nutrients with stripped water in the tank.

Well DANG.... never knew that!! so I can either poison my Betta with tap water or deprive him of needed minerals using RO water...lol.... would the aquarium salt add those needed minerals??? Is that maybe the reason I can't seem to stop the cyanobacteria???
How about if I got bottled drinking water or spring water, they seem to have minerals in them.....

Bottled or spring water will work, just make SURE it is NOT distilled. But, it can get a little spendy compared to alternatives. Aquarium salt has some minerals, but I would doubt it would replace natural water.

Is that the reason for your bloom? Not sure. But, I do know that water quality and the proper balance go a long way in stopping all kinds of things. I wouldn't discount it, but I don't know enough to really say one way or the other. I'd break out a Google session and read up on it.

Yes spring water would work too, although a lot of spring waters have very low PH and almost no buffering capacity so you may want to run some crushed coral in a nylong stocking or media bag into your filter. Nestle Pure Life is actually a good brand, the PH seems to be around 7 last time I tested (but again very little or no GH/KH so PH crashes might be an issue). Some bottled water is also actually almost distilled water (I think Aquafina, Dasani) so you'd want to avoid those too. Plus totally changing your source water could be an issue for the fish unless it's done very slowly over time.

What's wrong with your tap water again that you aren't using it?

Using the R/O water is fine just get some of the RO Rite and add it in with water changes. Plain R/O water is basically distilled water which has nothing in it, no minerals, so it isn't good for the fish. Not sure about the salt; I don't think it has anything else in it, at least not the ones used for freshwater and some FW fish can't tolerate salt.

Last edited:
The problem with my tap water is that it is taken from the Rio Grande River, which is shared with Mexico. Their water quality specs are no where near high as high as ours, and tests find heavy metals among other things. The city assures us that the water quality meets all government standards after processing, but it smells foul and if I even drink a small amount of it, I get "intestinal distress".. not putting MY fish in water like that... therefore the R/O system in the house for drinking and cooking..... lol
K.. on the aquarium salt, the package says "API Aquarium Salt provides essential electrolytes freshwater fish need to reach peak coloration and vitality. Aquarium Salt improves gill function, reduces stress, facilitates osmoregulation and promotes disease recovery. Use API Aquarium Salt when setting up a freshwater aquarium or fish bowl, changing water and treating disease." Amount is 1 rounded tablespoon per 5 US gallons, although I am thinking that is WAY high... lol... more like a teaspoon maybe per 5 gallons or just 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons...

Has anyone used any minute amount of salt in their freshwater tank??

I use a minute amount of salt in my tank, but I wouldn't even call it brackish. I'm under 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons for sure. Three teaspoons is a table spoon, so I might guess I am a half teaspoon, which would be 1/6 of what they recommend.

The only time I've put a tablespoon per 5 gallons was during an ich outbreak and once I realized the amount, within 10 minutes, I did a 50% water change. For whatever reason, my brain was on a holiday right then and I mistakenly doubled what I was trying to ratio.

I understand what the box says, but I would politely disagree with it.

Ok... I have tried everything to kill the cyano bacteria BUT chemicals... however, it is back, worse than ever... and one of my snails has dying... no more Ms. Niceguy... I want to pull out my remaining snail, algae eater, ghost shrimp and betta before they all go belly up also... and sterilize the tank... I saw elsewhere on the forum, someone recommended increasing nitrates?? I thought nitrates were bad???

What is the best way to sterilize the gravel and decorations??? Boiling water or something else.. how about the tank... what do I need to use on that????

Help, I want to do it right.....

That looks like something else to try before I destroy the entire tank.. I hope it works as about half the bottom of the tank is now covered with that blue green slime.... and one snail has died.... Thank you for another option!!!

hmmmmm.... 24 hours later and my crystal clear tank is now cloudy... does this means it is working or that something else has gone wrong????

Is the h2o2 killing the cyano? If so the cloudyness will be organics from the dying bacteria. Do a water change every day or you might get an ammonia Spike.

I can't really tell, the bacterial carpet seems to be as healthy as before. I am thinking to run some more H2O2 in there, that maybe I was too stingy with it... I'll do a water change in the morning and inject some more H2O2 into the carpet.... thanks!

Two questions: have you added the minerals to condition the RO water and balance things chemically?

Are you able to post a picture of what it looks like?

My thoughts are, and I admittedly don't know, if the non-mineralized water may be contributing to the problem. Also, the h2o2 should have affected the bacteria. If not, making sure it is bacteria would be helpful.

Did the snail smell bad (are you sure it's dead)? I've had snails withdraw for several days before. Just checking...

LOL... snail is definitely dead or it went somewhere on vacation... the shell is empty... yes I have seen them "hibernate" before.

No pix, but I do think it is the bacteria... it is that same color I have seen on articles, it lays in viscous sheets that float around the tank when uprooted and all my algae eaters won't touch it.

I'll hit it with another shot of H2O2 today. I have changed out water and added minerals and all the readings are good... It does seem to not be advancing, just not retreating yet....

thanks....

Back
Top Bottom