Suddenly aggressive fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsilvers

Aquarium Advice Regular
We aren't sure who the culprit is, but we have had a few fish die off suddenly. We expect that occassionally fish die, but this is more than we've ever had at one time, and one glass catfish was definitely bitten. We have had for a good while now, nearly a year, two false SAEs (flying foxes). They haven't posed a problem in the past, but we worry it could be them as they are now quite large. The only other culprit could be a smaller angel fish or a recently added red tail shark. The angel fish has been in the tank for some time though so I am not convinced it is this fish. The red tail doesn't seem to bother anyone. We are at a bit of a loss. This is a well-planted 55 gallon tank with mostly tetras, some barbs (none are tiger barbs), rasboras, danios and now only two glasscats, who we have had for quite some time, over a year. Any advice/insight here would be great.

Though tetras and danios can be fin nippers, this sudden attacks with deaths ar elittle out of that character. If you had spare time I would leave a very weak light on and observe them after the "normal" light out period. A stake out as was said in another post. I forget which sharks are tempersome.. I don't keep em.

You should post your latest tests anyway. Maybe adding the shark sent your bio wonky and you had some spikes. Plus mention if your tank is overstocked or not..
Not sure? add the adult lengths up of all your fish. If they were all small earlier..and are now approaching adult size they could have snuck up on your water change schedule. Readings are what most will want to know to guess aggression or water issues.
After a year pH shouldn't matter..but test it to see if your water company made any changes to surprise you with.
Check your readings for NH and NO to be sure your bioload hasn't changed or your media didn't die off.
And the number and type of your fish including the ones that died in maybe parenthesis
You'll get more answers then.
The bite could be just someone rummaging on the corpse after the death.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. We moved our tank and took the opportunity to watch our fish after doing so. Before we moved them we tested and the water was fine. To move the tank we emptied and stored approx 75% of the water. The fish went in a rubber tub. We cleaned the tank, put in new substrate (we use eco-complete) and then put the water back in with 25% new water (counts as that tank's water change), got the filters and heater going, and then floated the fish so it wouldn't shock them. The filters were the same, not new, so we didn't disturb the biology of the tank, so really all that was new was the substrate. We've been testing and watching and our numbers are fine. We use the mardel five-in-one test strips. We have low nitrates, trace nitrites and ammonia. Our pH is fine. Our CO2 levels are fine. We have live plants, but floated them so we could watch the fish. Seems that the only ones that die are small or long-finned. We did think the red-tail shark at first, but while the other fish were eventually let back out, we kept him in the floating bag by himself. We changed his water often and did this for two days. We made sure he was ok, we just wanted to see what would happen. Well, other fish were beat up. So we tend to think it's the flying foxes who are the biggest in the tank and who were also being VERY territorial. So we let the red tail out and he's fine. He does seem to have territory moments with the flying foxes, but since we replanted everyone has figured out their own space. At this point we have some pristella tetras, bleeding heart tetras, cherry barbs, chinese gold barbs, one zebra danio, a colombian tetra, one glass catfish left :( , two flying foxes, the red tail shark, one neon :( two harlequin rasboras, one serpae tetra, two black phantom tetras, and our somewhat young angel fish. We are going to give it more time, see how they do with the plants in there and then add to the groups since obviously the survivors are big/tough enough for whomever our antagonist is.

Oh, and the bite didn't happen after the fish died. the glass catfish was still alive with a big nip out of it. I felt so bad. We went to bed and it was fine, then the next morning it had a big hunk out of it. The other two glass catfish sort of alientated it. So we euthanized the poor thing. We've had the glass catfish for over a year now...with the flying foxes. Which is why we thought it was the red tail. But then, as you can see in my first reply, we quarantined the red tail and others still died. The thing is, the ones that died were technically "older". We have had them for more than a year. But we have others that are older and fine, butbigger in size. <Sigh>

How many fish in total died and over what period of time? Even if the fish are older, it seems odd that they would all die at once.

Let's see...two glass cats (one had a big bite out of it, so we euthanized). The other lost an antenna and then died, very quickly. The neons got taken out pretty quick, they were definitely the smallest in the tank, I'd say three of them once we added the red tail shark. Two rasboras. One serpae tetra we euthanized because it also had a sizeable bite and seemed miserable, lost it's color

Back
Top Bottom