Suddenly aggressive male molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank Mate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last Sunday we added in a female marble molly to our tank to try and improve the ratio of male to female molly. Previously, we had one male and one female pair that we inherited with the tank.

For the first few days, our male couldn't leave the new female alone and was constantly trying to mate with her.

However, on Saturday we noticed some aggressive behaviour. He'd display his anal fins in a downward 'V' and then charge at her. Once she swam away he gave up but would start again later.

He isn't being aggressive to any other fish in the tank, including our other female molly. I'm also sure it's not mating as I've seen him mate before and it's completely different.

Any thoughts?

IMG_9616.jpgIMG_9524.jpg

Last Sunday we added in a female marble molly to our tank to try and improve the ratio of male to female molly. Previously, we had one male and one female pair that we inherited with the tank.

For the first few days, our male couldn't leave the new female alone and was constantly trying to mate with her.

However, on Saturday we noticed some aggressive behaviour. He'd display his anal fins in a downward 'V' and then charge at her. Once she swam away he gave up but would start again later.

He isn't being aggressive to any other fish in the tank, including our other female molly. I'm also sure it's not mating as I've seen him mate before and it's completely different.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 301821View attachment 301822
He may need a reset. Take him out for a few hours, move a few decorations, put him back in. Other possibility is something is she is pregnant (actually, it's likely she's pregnant) and he wants to make sure he's that dad. You can also try adding another or more decorations to break up sight lines and so she has more places to hide.

Back
Top Bottom