Suggested stocking for 90 gallon semi-aggressive community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeZ

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the process of giving my 90 gallon a complete overhaul...new substrate, live plants, etc. I am honestly done with the "monster cichlids" and the mess they make. I am looking for something a little different....more volume of fish, but smaller, and compatible. Maybe even a school or two of something.

Is there such a thing as a semi-agressive tank? I was thinking a bunch of barbs, clown loaches, different catfish, etc. Basically high, medium and low swimmers. I have more than enough filtration to basically accommodate anything I want.

What I am looking for is something colorful, and fun. Obviously we are talking apples an oranges going from red devils to barbs, but I think it is time for a change.

Any cool suggestions?

For center pieces I would do one of the following

1. School of Bosemani Rainbows
2. Group of Angels
3. Large school of Cardinal Tetras and Cherry Barbs w/Pair of Kribensis or German Blue Rams. (saw a tank of about 200 cardinals looked really cool)
4. A Few Gouramis
5. Discus if you have pristine water conditions.
6. School of Denison Barbs

I would then add some fancy plecos and and clown loaches.

Not clown loaches or balas, 90G is too small.

My one word of advice is because you are going planted you are going to want to research any fish you consider buying for the tank. Many Barbs, Silver Dollars, and such will eat plants with relish. I keep a 100% planted 220g with the main stars being 12 adult veil angelfish. Then I keep 2 large schools of rummy nose and cardinal tetras, about 25 cory cats, yo-yo loaches, rams, and threadfin rainbows. You have a ton of choice but make them with plants in mind and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Moonlight or pearl gouramis would look great in a planted tank. I also like the look of a school of glowlight danios.

I have a planted 70 and have to really agree with rivercats. I learnt the hard way

I would suggest:
5+ boesmani rainbows (they happier in large group)
Large school of rasboras ( mosquito or harlequin)
Some Cory cats
Maybe black neon or cardinal tetras
I love my rams so I'm partial to a pair or 2
Some Otos once tank is mature

What type I substrate are you thinking and what color? That could sway the fish selection.

Clown loaches can be very hard on plants. They like to dig them up and often like to put holes in larger leaf plants. There are other smaller loaches such as yo-yo loaches that are a little easier on plants.

Back
Top Bottom