Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppygourami

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hiya everyone! It's been a while since I was last on but I'm back now and want to do change up my tank since school's coming to an end and I'll have a lot more free time then.
I currently have a 23 gallon tank with a 40 gallon filter. I have four danios, two neon tetras and two angelfish. I feed them Omega One Micropellets and bloodworms. The angelfish have been spawning a lot but the fry never last because I don't have the proper equipment. I am thinking of getting a fry tank soon just to see if they'd live and maybe I could sell them.
The tank is pretty boring with brown gravel, three fake plants and a stone gargoyle. I want to add some new fish and live plants, do any of you have suggestions? Please include how to take care of them as well, thank you! :)

<g.m.t.a>

Up your neon tetra school to 6. The two angels are probably a bit too much, especially with the neon tetra school, but maybe it'll work. I'm guessing you're using the light that came with the tank, so go with Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Hornwort, Amazon Sword, possibly Hygrophilia Difformis and Vallisneria. You should fertilize the water column with Flourish Comphrensive and maybe API Leaf Zone. You want to use root tabs for the Vals and Amazon Swords to provide nutrients, as they are heavy root feeders. Upgrading your lighting is the best bet though.

Up your neon tetra school to 6. The two angels are probably a bit too much, especially with the neon tetra school, but maybe it'll work. I'm guessing you're using the light that came with the tank, so go with Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Hornwort, Amazon Sword, possibly Hygrophilia Difformis and Vallisneria. You should fertilize the water column with Flourish Comphrensive and maybe API Leaf Zone. You want to use root tabs for the Vals and Amazon Swords to provide nutrients, as they are heavy root feeders. Upgrading your lighting is the best bet though.

I agree 100% but I would also get more danios as well.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Hi GG,
A 23 gallon is a bit small to keep angels, even without other fish. I would build up a could of large shoals of a couple of Tetras, their beep having is totally different to having jumpstart a couple of each. Maybe a small group of dwarf corys would add some other interest.
Ditch the plastic plant and stone gargoyle. Get a nice piece of rock or bog wood and a few easy low light plants. Java fern and Java Moss do well. They need feeding too, as do the fish, but there's lots of handy info on here or the net.
Even my QT is decked out with easy plants, no gravel, they just feed from the water column ( moss and Fern ).
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461105899.473150.jpg
My latest batch of cardinals in their QT. I keep them there for about 8 to 12 weeks to condition them prior to being let loose in the display tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi GG,
A 23 gallon is a bit small to keep angels, even without other fish. I would build up a could of large shoals of a couple of Tetras, their beep having is totally different to having jumpstart a couple of each. Maybe a small group of dwarf corys would add some other interest.
Ditch the plastic plant and stone gargoyle. Get a nice piece of rock or bog wood and a few easy low light plants. Java fern and Java Moss do well. They need feeding too, as do the fish, but there's lots of handy info on here or the net.
Even my QT is decked out with easy plants, no gravel, they just feed from the water column ( moss and Fern ).
View attachment 286279
My latest batch of cardinals in their QT. I keep them there for about 8 to 12 weeks to condition them prior to being let loose in the display tank.

I like your QT tank. I only set mine up in a as needed basis. Can you start a different post on your quarantine and maybe others will follow? I am skeptical to keep mine running to avoid another tank to maintain. In addition, mine are not planted since I have heard that medications mess up the plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Java fern and Anubis. Low light and low maintenance

I like your QT tank. I only set mine up in a as needed basis. Can you start a different post on your quarantine and maybe others will follow? I am skeptical to keep mine running to avoid another tank to maintain. In addition, mine are not planted since I have heard that medications mess up the plants.

I actually run my QT as a working tank all the time. I keep my fish in there until needed for the main display tank. I keep it well cycled and keep a colony of RCS in there. The new fish eat some of the young shrimp but that really conditions the fish after their stressful life (breeder, transport to LFS, kept overcrowded and then bagged to bring home) - it's no wonder they can get sick. I pamper them and help them recover. To date, touch wood, I have never used medication and not lost a fish when put into the main tank.
I have a small tank totally empty on standby as a hospital tank in case it's needed to medicate, but it's not been used yet.

So you have brought up an interesting point and I would like to start another thread about this instead of taking over this thread asking more questions on an indirectly related topic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom