Suggestions for a feature fish? (6' tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachael94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a new 6 foot tank set up and the following were moved there from a 2 foot tank:
2 Kissing Gouramis (the biggest is about 15cm/6")
1 Gold Gourami (about 10cm)
2 Silver Sharks
5 Corydoras, 1 Bristlenose
Also a barb which I was thinking about taking out, he's not very friendly.

Now there's heaps of room and plants and it looks great but I want to put more fish in it. I was just going to get more Gouramis and Corys but I'd like something a bit bigger, maybe one really nice fish or preferably two.

Any ideas for something that will get along with what's already in the tank?

I've gone through 3 ghost knifes with those fish.
All died after a couple of months. :(

I would get some rainbow fish. The tank seems a bit over crowded at the moment so I'd add smaller rainbow fish like neon dwarfs.

Yea I used to have some Angels that had really nice distinct black and white stripes, but also bright yellow. I think they were called Koi Angels or something but I haven't seen ones that nice in ages.
I was still hoping for something a little bigger.

Cichlids wouldn't go with the Gouramis right?

Yea I used to have some Angels that had really nice distinct black and white stripes, but also bright yellow. I think they were called Koi Angels or something but I haven't seen ones that nice in ages.
I was still hoping for something a little bigger.

Cichlids wouldn't go with the Gouramis right?

Right, ...

I would get some rainbow fish. The tank seems a bit over crowded at the moment so I'd add smaller rainbow fish like neon dwarfs.

I don't think it's over crowded. The 3 Gouramis are the only ones that swim right around the tank, and the sharks which are only small keep to them selves. The catfish find a corner at the bottom and stay there.

It looks more empty than crowded :ermm:

I don't think it's over crowded. The 3 Gouramis are the only ones that swim right around the tank, and the sharks which are only small keep to them selves. The catfish find a corner at the bottom and stay there.

It looks more empty than crowded :ermm:

6' tank is massive but silver sharks do get to about 15" eventually with enough space. If i'd just bought that tank i'd probably start again, and base my tank around half a dozen or so central american cichlids.

As it is, i would probably add a big angelfish, a big severum and maybe another dwarf pleco.

Saying you can't put cichlids and gourami together is just plain wrong, especially in such a large space, and is just a very 'general' statement.
I wouldn't put a jewel cichlid with a honey gourami, but angelfish and gold gouramis / pearl gouramis are a great combination. As would keyholes and bolivian rams be with nearly all gourami. The only reason to not do it is if you are doing a biotope tank because, in the main, they're from different parts of the world.

Saying you can't put cichlids and gourami together is just plain wrong, especially in such a large space, and is just a very 'general' statement.
I wouldn't put a jewel cichlid with a honey gourami, but angelfish and gold gouramis / pearl gouramis are a great combination. As would keyholes and bolivian rams be with nearly all gourami. The only reason to not do it is if you are doing a biotope tank because, in the main, they're from different parts of the world.

^x2. Depending on the cichlid, it's perfectly doable. I have 1 pearl, 2 blue, 2 opaline, and 1 lavender gourami living perfectly peacefully with my 6 GBRs. I don't have too much experience with angels to say if they'd work for sure, but I would imagine any Ram variety would be fine if introduced correctly.

That said, personally I wouldn't think you need any more centerpiece fish with the current stock. If the tank seems "empty" then a school of small, active dither fish would probably do a better job at filling in the open space. If you're looking for activity I highly recommend Threadfin Rainbows, as they have some pretty cool fin displays when you've got a good mix of males and females. Danios, barbs, or rasboras would also have good energy levels. Hope this helps!

I'd rehome the two silver sharks. They're much happier in schools of 6+ and will outgrow your tank if they stay healthy.

Doing this will give you much more space to work with.

I'm doing a 6' tank and will be having a school of silver dollars as the centre piece :)

Ghost Knifes are very difficult fish to keep alive long-term... The vast majority of them sold in the fish trade die within their first year. I'd really avoid suggesting them to anyone other than very very experienced fish keepers that have researched their feeding, decor, and tankmate compatibilities in great detail. Just my opinion...

If you want something that gets a bit bigger and can be a real focal point, consider an elephant nose fish! They are so cool, and once they trust you (which shouldn't be hard if you get it when it is young) they will eat out of your hand and some will even allow you to hold it! They get about 9" max and are considered semi-aggressive but are also a bit timid. They do well with a tube to hide in but get a clear one so you can still see the fish. I also think they will do well with the other fish in your tank. (Anyone with more experience with these fish can certainly chime in if I'm wrong.) Check out the videos on YouTube on tanks with the elephant nose fish. You will love them!

Back
Top Bottom