Suggestions for a lone clean up bottom dweller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need a bottom dwelling clean up crew for a ten gallon planted tank. Would rather not go with cories this time as I don't want a school. Would like a lone ranger for this job. Any suggestions?

A small school of bloodfin tetras (6) and a betta (male).
Live plants, a couple rocks and a fake tree stump.

With the bloodfins in there, you are already overstocked. I cannot recommend that you add another species to this tank, if if it's just one fish.

Also, when people say they need a "cleanup crew", it usually means that they are overfeeding. Is that your case?

Nah. This is for a new tank and I like to have bottom dwellers, makes it look more rounded out. Maybe I'll just skip setting up this tank but then it will just sit in the garage unused.

molly100a said:
Mystery snails do a great job in my 29gal. and easy to get at petsmart

Usually come as bonus... Just buy a plant there... Lol.

Nah. This is for a new tank and I like to have bottom dwellers, makes it look more rounded out. Maybe I'll just skip setting up this tank but then it will just sit in the garage unused.

I agree that it's nice to have species at all levels. (y)

I'm confused though. I thought you were looking for a tankmate for this 10 gallon tank. Are you transferring the 10 gallon inhabitants to the 29?

molly100a said:
Mystery snails do a great job in my 29gal. and easy to get at petsmart

Snails!? Ick IMO. I don't dig on the escargot.

LyndaB said:
I agree that it's nice to have species at all levels. (y)

I'm confused though. I thought you were looking for a tankmate for this 10 gallon tank. Are you transferring the 10 gallon inhabitants to the 29?

No, not transferring anybody. The 29g was spoken of by molly100a, it's not mine.

What about if I don't add the betta. Just the bloodfin terra (my son loves them). What would you suggest then?

The betta is actually better suited to the 10 gallon. Bloodfins have a recommendation of 20 gallons.

I agree bloodfins are too large and active for a 10 gal.

Shrimp would be a good bottom dweller for a 10 gal, but they probably wouldn't last long with a betta.

Mystery snails are actually apple snails, and are not the type that come in on plants. Those are usually pond snails, bladder snails, or ramshorns.

Well, I think I'll set it up, cycle and plant it then mull its stock over while I wait.

That's always a good idea. You may end up with less room than you thought you had available for a bottom dweller once you've got it all arranged and planted.

Back
Top Bottom