Suggestions for a schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking to add a single school to my 75g tank. Looking for a fish that will inhabit the top 2/3 of my tank and look impressive in a school of 12 to 15. Prefer a tight schooling species and won't torment my other species. Got a pair of pearl gouramis that I don't want nipped.

I have had huge schools of tiger barbs. They do great in a group and only occasionally bickered with each other. They come in all kinds if varieties too.

Kind of leaning towards them but worried that they would torment my other fish. Also of I do get tiger barbs is it best to have same coloring or will the different variants all school together.

Kind of leaning towards them but worried that they would torment my other fish. Also of I do get tiger barbs is it best to have same coloring or will the different variants all school together.
I have had mine in with bettas and gouramis as well. No issues at all. I have also had a mix of barbs together. Most of the time they schooled together, but there were some instances when they would break off into their groups and it looked bad ***.

Harlequin Rasboras. From my research and experience, they usually swim in the upper levels of the tank and they look awesome. :) I have only 5 in my tank (plan to add more) and they school okay, but they might school better in a larger school.

I love my tiger barbs, they're buckets of personality! Mine don't bother anyone and only pester each other. Mine let a rosy barb school with them. You can mix the color morgues barbs together but honestly it looks tons better if you just have the regular tiger barb. Large schools of these guys are really amazing! Also the bigger the school the more peaceful they are. If you don't want those another really cool option would be harlequin rasboras. They look amazing when matured and happy!

If you want something that'll truly school look at Rummynose tetras. They won't bother your gouramis potentially like tiger barbs will.

Bleeding Heart tetras school semi-decently too. And they're very hardy.

Actually harlequin rasboras are my other school in that tank. Got 10 of them.

Think I am going with tiger barbs. I love how rummy noses look but i want a playful interactive species. My zebra loaches are my current favs cause of the way they interact with each other. Hopefully the tigers will be as entertaining.

Should I go all one type of tigers or get diff types.

Think I am going with tiger barbs. I love how rummy noses look but i want a playful interactive species. My zebra loaches are my current favs cause of the way they interact with each other. Hopefully the tigers will be as entertaining. Should I go all one type of tigers or get diff types.
tiger barbs are extremely playful and just loads of fun to watch. As long as you have a large school I highly doubt you'll see any outward aggression to any other species. Good luck! Also if it helps I have my barbs in with a pearl gourami {his mate died After an outbreak of columinaris} and they just ignore him.

Think I am gonna just pick up 15 reg tiger barbs. Love their look. Should I grab all 15 at once or a few at a time.

Just got 12 tiger barbs today and they look awesome. Schooling so tight already. Hopefully they will remain peaceful

Enjoying my tiger barbs. Very fun to watch. Seem to follow my pearl gouramis at times. Swarm my hands and bite me when I suction the gravel

Back
Top Bottom