Suggestions for Top Level Swimmers with an Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all-

I'm looking for suggestions on a schooling top level swimmer that are "angelfish" safe. I enjoy the look of neon tetras but I don't want them to be a snack later once the angel gets larger. Also needs to be non-fin nippers!

Tank inhabitants in my 50 gallon long:
1 angelfish
3 red platies
5 juli cories
2 (soon to be 5) panda cories

Thanks! :fish2:

hatchetfish.

They are probably the BEST top level fish - although they are jumpers.

hatchetfish.

They are probably the BEST top level fish - although they are jumpers.

slightly suicidal :)

siamese fighters are top level fish but i dunno how they will cope with the angels

and they do look absolutely stunning, and u can teach them to do tricks :p

slightly suicidal :)

siamese fighters are top level fish but i dunno how they will cope with the angels

and they do look absolutely stunning, and u can teach them to do tricks :p

I do love me some bettas! Haven't had one in years.

I'm also open to a few non-schooling fish, too! Anything to bring some color and life to the top of the tank, lol :)

sobersteve323 said:
I do love me some bettas! Haven't had one in years.

I'm also open to a few non-schooling fish, too! Anything to bring some color and life to the top of the tank, lol :)

Oh, that's a tough one Angels can be soooo territorial at least mine are! Idk about a betta but maybe gouramis at one time I had mine in a tank with those and seemed to do ok as long as the gouramis stayed out of their space. :)

Oh, that's a tough one Angels can be soooo territorial at least mine are! Idk about a betta but maybe gouramis at one time I had mine in a tank with those and seemed to do ok as long as the gouramis stayed out of their space. :)

Haha, oops. That was supposed to be meant as more of a "oh yeah, bettas are awesome!" comment.

Edit: Double oops. Accidentally quoted your comment instead of mine.

sobersteve323 said:
Haha, oops. That was supposed to be meant as more of a "oh yeah, bettas are awesome!" comment.

Edit: Double oops. Accidentally quoted your comment instead of mine.

Lol! No problem btw I forgot to mention I have a friend who has Angels with keyhole cichlids and they do great together! :)

Lol! No problem btw I forgot to mention I have a friend who has Angels with keyhole cichlids and they do great together! :)

I see that keyhole cichlids are generally peaceful. Do they become territorial/aggressive towards other species when spawning? While there is a decent amount of places to hide in the tank, would they be bothered with all the cories and platies also sharing the spaces? I find the cories playing in almost every square inch of the tank, lol :ROFLMAO:

sobersteve323 said:
I see that keyhole cichlids are generally peaceful. Do they become territorial/aggressive towards other species when spawning? While there is a decent amount of places to hide in the tank, would they be bothered with all the cories and platies also sharing the spaces? I find the cories playing in almost every square inch of the tank, lol :ROFLMAO:

Yes as far as I know they r very peaceful fish as far as territorial/ aggressive when spawning idk I can ask my friend later when he gets off work..... Im pretty sure as long as you have a decent amount of places to hide you should be fine! My friend has those cichlid stones in his tank and that's what they hide and have their fry in. I know also he has some cories in his tank but no platies. I can let you know later this evening what he says. :)

I have a pearl gourami and a school of odessa barbs with my angels. They typically stay in the top region of the tank, although sometimes the barbs are all over the place. It's a very peaceful tank. :)

And a large number of corys can be a real pain to keep alive with angels bc the angels will often steal their shrimp pellets and algae wafers :mad:

tarpon said:
And a large number of corys can be a real pain to keep alive with angels bc the angels will often steal their shrimp pellets and algae wafers :mad:

That's interesting my Angels don't touch my shrimp pellets or algae wafers, they've tried the algae wafers and spit it right back out, lol! :)

tarpon said:
Mine break them into pieces and eat them!:mad:

Mine won't eat any kind of veggies either I've given them shelled peas many times and they spit those out too! I figured they need some greenery in their diet! They will only eat flakes and the frozen food with the shrimp and bloodworms!

Haha that's funny! I can see that happening with mine in the future. ATM he's only about a quarter size but he intently watches the cories eating... even while he's got a blood worm in his mouth already! He also loves those Hikari algae wafers... at least he waited until the cories had their fill before he munched on it.

Do glass cats stay near the top of the tank without floating plants? Most of the photos I've been able to google looks like they're at the bottom of the tank.

I have a pearl gourami and a school of odessa barbs with my angels. They typically stay in the top region of the tank, although sometimes the barbs are all over the place. It's a very peaceful tank. :)

Do you have floating plants in your tank? My tank appears to be opposite of what a pearl gourami would like (according to liveaquaria.com at least lol).:facepalm:

Do glass cats stay near the top of the tank without floating plants? Most of the photos I've been able to google looks like they're at the bottom of the tank.

Yes, glass cats have a tendency to stay at the lower part of the tank.

Do you have floating plants in your tank? My tank appears to be opposite of what a pearl gourami would like (according to liveaquaria.com at least lol).:facepalm:

No, gouramis don't need floating plants at all. I've kept mine without.

Back
Top Bottom