suggestions on tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, glass cats are very peaceful and like to be in groups so I'd say 5 at least.

After some reading, I'd rather have ghost cats, not glass. So that I can have an even 6 of'em.

Is this gravel ok for Cory cats, I know that sand is best, but I need gravel cause I'm using an under gravel filter.

ForumRunner_20121105_131917.jpg

ForumRunner_20121105_131903.jpg

ForumRunner_20121105_131848.jpg

They're each a different kind of gravel.

I've settled on fish, mostly. 12 neon tetra, 8 cories, 8 marble hatchet fish, 6 glass catfish, 6 Australian rainbows, 2 kuli loaches, 1 clown pleco. Could I put some Rummy nose tetra in too? If so how many? I feel the need for more, RED in the tank.

What if I did 8 or ten Rummies, and down the neons to 8 or 10. I want truly happy fish,

for a fish that small 2 or 4 more won't make a difference on the bio-load so that is fine.

How bout 3 or 6 guppies? I think what I've picked'll be great, but maybe for some fan tail reflecttive cool stuff a few guppies

It's your tank so you can stock how you want but you are beginning to push the overload button IMO. If you want some male guppies then you need to pare back on something else.

i'm gonna jump on this thread real quick...

i noticed nobody answered his gravel question and i'm curious about the same thing as i'm in the process of selecting a 125G(Currently running a 55G w/ Sand) but i'd rather not do sand in the 125G so is there any specific gravel thats better suited to fish with barbels?? (Clown Loaches, Cory's, Cats...)

Well if you want to get technical they prefer sand, but not sharp edged sand like some are. A very small gravel is fine and you can even use larger gravel. As long as the substrate is not sharp they are fine with any of it. I use Eco-complete in my planted tanks and have cory's and loaches both. There is no issue with barbels. In cory's people think when they lose their barbels that it is due to their substrate when in fact it is usually do to poor water quality issues. I don't do gravel but years ago used to use a very fine river gravel which was fine for them also.

i'll definitely have to look up the eco-complete you use and see if petsmart.com has it. its also good to know that as long as its smooth everything should be ok.

thanks again River :)

i'll definitely have to look up the eco-complete you use and see if petsmart.com has it. its also good to know that as long as its smooth everything should be ok.

thanks again River :)

Most any commercial plant substrate is fine for them but don't spend the extra money on it unless your going planted.

Ok, I won't push it anymore with the 55, but I have a fish gal. I'd like to stock on the cheap for either my sister or dad. Are white clouds an option? The best part of this is I can pretty much instantly cycle the 5 by using all gravel from a 20 gal. I'm taki.g down next month.

A five gallon IMO is only good for a betta or perhaps a shrimp tank. You could also do something like a sparkling gourami. White clouds wouldn't have enough room.

I have 2 Bulb T5HO fixtures on my 55g's and I can grow everything but high light plants. There are alot of brands of T5HO fixtures in all price ranges. I use Coralife brand on my tanks but there are alot of good brands available.

Back
Top Bottom