suggestions on tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, final stock for my 45 long: 8 rummy nose tetra, 6 Australian Rainbowfish, 8 cories, 8 marbled hatchetfish, an undecided amount of ghost shrimp and assassin snails.

What would I have to do for a frog?my mom said she'd like a frog, but not a must have

Assissin snails need other snails to eat. If you want foraging snails you should look into Mayalasian Trumpet Snails. They borrow through the substrate foraging and aerating it then at night they come out and forage in the tank. They clean up in my plants, DW, and substrate. Then come morning light they go back into the substrate. They are live bearers and give birth to one little snail at a time so you have no snail eggs and if you start getting alot coming out at night this tells you that your over feeding your tank.

As for a frog, the only suitable one is a dwarf african frog. But they need a shallow tank so they can come up to the top to breathe and they are also pretty much blind so they need to be target fed in a tank with fish so they get enough food. I really wouldn't suggest having them in your tank.

I'll try it out, my lfs has a 3 day return policy, so if I can't make it work, I'll take the ADF back the third day. I'll definitely look into trumpet snails to, thanx.

I'm scraping snails and frogs.

Could I put in a bala shark?

Almost final stock: 10 Rummy nose tetra, 8 Australian Rainbowfish, 8 cories, 10 marbled hatchetfish, 1 bristle nose pleco.

Lt. said:
I'm scraping snails and frogs.

Could I put in a bala shark?

Almost final stock: 10 Rummy nose tetra, 8 Australian Rainbowfish, 8 cories, 10 marbled hatchetfish, 1 bristle nose pleco.

No you couldnt put in a Bala. Well you could but it will not work out as the tank isn't big enough, it may become aggressive and it needs a school .

I actually keep 3 crazy yo-yo loaches in my 220g. They are very very active fish, always poking around looking for food, but when they crash to sleep most of the time they lay over on their sides and look dead. They are the tanks mischeiveous little bad boys who can't leave anyone or anything alone.

So, current 45 long stock:7 Rummy noses, 4 zebra danio and a single leopard danio, 4 bronze cories. The Rainbowfish ate going away cuz they can't handle new tank mates. I plan to up the rummies to 10, get 4 more different cories, up the danios to 4 leopards and keep the four zebras. So question is, can I put cardinal or neon tetra in there (not sure which)? As well marbled hatchetfish, and a couple RCS? Am I overstockd if I do all this? Will they all get along long?

You could do the marble hatchets and a school of neon or cardinals if you have good filtration. Most all your fish are in the lower bio-load area so with a 45L I think it would work. You can also add the RCS without any problem but would suggest getting sponge covers for your filter intakes.

Do RCS need any special care? Compared to most fish at least. I've never kept shrimp before.

I don't keep RCS but do have probably 75 ghost shrimp in my 220g. All they need is good hiding places/cover. I have tons of plants in my tank.

I know ghost shrimp give the cory's a run for their money. But I add a few cooked, deshelled peas, smashed up with their normal feed about every 3rd day. By smashing them, alot of little pieces go around the tank so all the fish and the shrimp can get some. I've never had overfeeding issues even with feeding the peas liberally that often but then I have a ton of filtration. Also using those sinking shrimp pellets work well especially if you presoak them so they pretty much fall apart when added to the tank. That way when they disperse through the tank there are lots of little pieces for shrimp and cory's to forage. Just adding a couple shrimp pellets allows only a couple fish to feed at once. You just have to be alittle more creative in your feeding when you have shrimp (at least a fair amount of them) and fish.

I think you should start a new thread for this one. There are alot of people on here that keep RCS and they could give you a good idea what to start with. Sorry I can't help you on this one.

RCS are a rather expensive experiment. You could always start with ghosties and see how that goes before getting the more expensive rcs. Danios and rummies and cories are not likely to bother an adult rcs IMO, but they will pick off babies. Of course, in a planted tank, some babies will make it. But, if you go that direction, you will want to be a bit careful about your future stock to make sure you don't get anything that will devour rcs. For example, rams.
Personally, I prefer shrimp in smaller setups where I can easily see them. But, that is just personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom