suggestions required

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazza

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Just looking for suggestions on my tank. it is a 125l fresh water which currently holds 7 zebra danio, 8 tiger barbs of mixed variety, 5 rosy barbs and 2 sailfin plecos. do i need one or two more rosy barbs as i have read that the perfect school is 6 or more. Also should i be adding some driftwood for the plecos as i heard they need it for their digestion system. all help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
That tank is too small for sailfish. I'd go with a smaller Pleco variety like a bristlenose and keep it to one.

they are the leopard variety. already in the tank. they seem to keep to opposite sides of the tank

bazza said:
they are the leopard variety. already in the tank. they seem to keep to opposite sides of the tank

Yes I know and can break 1' in length. They also show conspecific territorial aggression. What are the dimensions of the tank. I had a single leopard sailfin in a 65g when Was a kid and had to regime cause he got too big for the depth of the aquarium.

bazza said:
length 81cm
width 36cm
height 51cm

Personally, I don't think it's big enough for sailfin let alone two. Online profiles rate them for a minimum of125g or 475L.

cheers. may look into getting rid of one. my friend is setting up a 400l must chat him. Do u think im overstocked with the rest. what about the driftwood?

bazza said:
cheers. may look into getting rid of one. my friend is setting up a 400l must chat him. Do u think im overstocked with the rest. what about the driftwood?

Not sure on the overstocking sorry. Yes, get a piece of real driftwood for your Pleco.

bazza said:

Yes I do. You would be overstocked with the one Pleco. What filtration do you have on the rank?

i also do a 30 liter water change weekly religiously. which includes constant partial gravel cleaning

bazza said:
its a bluwave which pumps 500l p/h

That's less than 5x an hour. Personally, I'd add more filtration. Most people say to have at least 6x you aquarium volume per hour or 750l/h in your case. I'd up it to at least 1000l/h as your over stocked.

bazza said:
i also do a 30 liter water change weekly religiously. which includes constant partial gravel cleaning

That's only a 25% change. What are your nitrate values?

Is that right before a water change? How much are the nitrates increasing between water changes?

Think of it this way:
If you have nitrates of 30ppm then do a 25% water change the nitrate value (assuming 0ppm in new water) will be ~23ppm. Then at the next water change the nitrates are 33ppm (increase of 10ppm per week) and you again remove 25% of the water it will reduce to 30ppm. So you end up with
First value shows the pre-water change level and the second is the post water change level
week one 30ppm 23ppm
week two 33ppm 25ppm
week three 35ppm 26ppm
week four 36ppm 27ppm

As you can see you there is an accumulation of nitrate in the water over time. This indicates that there are other things accumulating over time as well that are harder to test for such as hormones. IMO its best to adapt water changes to the amount of nitrate in order to attain a given post water change value, I aim for less than 20ppm, but never to less than 25% change.

So for example given a 5ppm per week increase:
The first value is the pre-change level, the second is the % change and the third is the post change level
week one 30ppm 40% 18ppm
week two 23ppm 30% 16ppm
week three 21ppm 25% 16ppm
week four 21ppm 25% 16ppm

Hope that was understandable.

think i get the basics of it. my mate in the lfs is great at any time i run into trouble. He has 4 300+ litre tanks in his house. does tests for me. is quite impressed with the levels they do be at considering tank only running bout 5 months

think i get the basics of it. my mate in the lfs is great at any time i run into trouble. He has 4 300+ litre tanks in his house. does tests for me. is quite impressed with the levels they do be at considering tank only running bout 5 months

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Look into extra filtration and be ready to rehome that sailfin as it grows. Its going to get to about the width of the tank in length making it hard for the poor fish to turn around!

Back
Top Bottom