Suicidal Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So this guy just loves to get sucked up inside my FX6 output.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412883956.074671.jpg

He gets thrown about a lot while clinging onto this thing..
Could he be doing any damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

"Sucked up inside an output" That sounds tough! :)

They commonly do this because of the high flow of filter outputs create a large buildup of biological residue that's a tasty snack for plecos. If it hurt him, he wouldn't go there.

"Sucked up inside an output" That sounds tough! :)

They commonly do this because of the high flow of filter outputs create a large buildup of biological residue that's a tasty snack for plecos. If it hurt him, he wouldn't go there.

very cool info...first time ive heard of that.

Keep in mind they don't reverse so well, I had to rescue mine a couple times, loved that sponge filter bubble tube..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

very cool info...first time ive heard of that.

It happens A LOT with sponge filters. But this pleco must be more determined than most to swim into the direct flow of a power filter to get at it :)

On that note, what do you feed your pleco?

It happens A LOT with sponge filters. But this pleco must be more determined than most to swim into the direct flow of a power filter to get at it :)

On that note, what do you feed your pleco?

I regularly try to feed it Algae Wafers but it's in an Mbuna tank so I have no clue if it manages to get to them.
Otherwise, it's always sucking away throughout the tank.

get some veggies in his diet...also, depending on the species, im not a pleco expert whatsoever, consider some driftwood if you do not have some already.

*edit sorry, i looked at the photo again and saw you have wood in the tank. still, jab a fork in some zucchini and sink it to the bottom overnight.

get some veggies in his diet...also, depending on the species, im not a pleco expert whatsoever, consider some driftwood if you do not have some already.

*edit sorry, i looked at the photo again and saw you have wood in the tank. still, jab a fork in some zucchini and sink it to the bottom overnight.

It's a BN, I'll pick up some 'zucchini' (or whatever it is over here, courgette maybe..) tomorrow.

Oh and the wood you mentioned is just a backdrop.
I'm REALLY trying to avoid having any wood in the tank though, I've read that BN's are less reliant on it for digestion..

sorry, i think you said that in another thread. i would consider it, though...i know you are trying to avoid it. i know that i have seen algae wafers that have wood in them, so that is another option, assuming your other fish are not getting to them, first. may also consider lights-out feedings. ive always found my bn and L387 to be more active after lights out.

not sure if this will help to keep your bn from seeking additional food from your outtake, but it is worth a try.

sorry, i think you said that in another thread. i would consider it, though...i know you are trying to avoid it. i know that i have seen algae wafers that have wood in them, so that is another option, assuming your other fish are not getting to them, first. may also consider lights-out feedings. ive always found my bn and L387 to be more active after lights out.

not sure if this will help to keep your bn from seeking additional food from your outtake, but it is worth a try.

I just throw a couple wafers in around midnight where I think the BN is..
They're gone in the morning soooo....

honestly, he looks healthy enough to me. i think mebbid is right, if it hurt him, he wouldnt go there. still, it is a good idea to give him some veggies, doesnt have to be zucchini. you can try almost anything. i normally quarter whatver veggie i am trying to feed, and scrape out any seeds, as they can be a nuisance. i tried sweet potato one time, but my personal experience was that potatoes are starchy and seemed to cloud the water a bit. that may be avoided if blanched first, but i just stuck with zucchini or cucumber, seeds scraped out.

So I threw in some courgette a few hours ago, some of the Mbuna checked it out but I think the Plec's a bit intimidated right now..

Might change later on in the night.

My Malawi's love cucumber, I put 2 pieces this size in, and there were only skins left in the morning...

10629574_966624940021260_6988582857280167613_n.jpg

Well.. This was the scene from last night..

Poor Plec had no chance..

But I've just come to hav a look and this is that same piece of courgette..

So someone went to town last night....

UPDATE: Bingo!

It seems 2 pieces are the way to go since the poor little bugger can't get his nose in with 20 other fish swarming him.

Back
Top Bottom