suicidal sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rainbows_sharks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
okay so today i got four fish for my tank 2 bala sharks 2rainbow sharks 1 of them albino and they've been swiming around just fine except within the last 4-5 hours my albino jumped through the poorly covered hole in the lid and was not realized by any one long enough for it to dry out dead any way. do you think that any thing would have caused it to do that and would it happen again i covered up the hole much better is there anything i can do to prevent suicidal tendency in fish?:puppydogeyes:
:uhoh:

It could have been stress, from the move. Though jumping out of the is odd but maybe he was very excited lol. Other people will say their views also welcome to AA

what kind of tank toppers do you have? Glass?

Also, how big is the tank you have them in right now, and how big are they?

It very well could have been just stress. Some fish get jumpy when they are suddenly scared or stressed.

Albino shark

The albino shark are known for being a jumpers, I read in other treads exactly what you described with these kind of sharks.
Sorry to hear about it but I think that was just a coincidence that he went through the hole.
Nothing wrong with the shark.

1. Any kind of shark is too big for a 15gal tank.
2. Check your water for ammonia. Fish usually jump out because of the irritation caused by ammonia. And seeing how you have all these fish in a 15gal. tank, I would think you have some ammonia present.

to answer becrac16

what kind of tank toppers do you have? Glass?

Also, how big is the tank you have them in right now, and how big are they?

It very well could have been just stress. Some fish get jumpy when they are suddenly scared or stressed.

i have a plastic one with a light built in the hole was to a heater that i moved over because it was to far to one side and im not entirly sure how big its in the range between sixteen to twenty gallons:p

do you mean that in i need some ammonia for the water or it might be something i need to get rid of
replying to i3ks comment

If you have ammonia in the tank... you need to get rid of it by doing large (50%) water changes daily... until your ammonia test shows 0.

You should not have any Ammonia present in your tank, it is toxic to fish! Please do a Google search and read up on Cycling a fish tank.

Bala Sharks grow to 16 inches and should absolutely not be kept in 20 gallons unless they will be moved into a huge tank shortly after.

It is always a good idea to research your fish's needs before buying one.

Back
Top Bottom