Suicidal Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok you invert lovers, I need suggestions/ideas (if there are any).

I woke up this morn, walked into the living room and there was my bamboo shrimp, who apparently decided last nite would a good time to go carpet surfing. Thought he was dead, but when hubby picked him up he moved a little, and we popped him right back into the tank. He must have escaped thru the spaces left for the filter and CO2 unit..dunno how I'm going to cover those, but my question is, besides putting him back, is there anything else we can do for him? He moved once when he went back in, one big tail flick, and hasn't moved since; he is just breathing and kinda propped up on the plants vertically. I don't have time to check water parameters; won't till I get home, but they were 0/0/10 when I did a water change on Monday (and everyone else is doing well and remaining IN the tank).

Poor lil guy :(

Eek! I knew things like crabs were escape artists.

but shrimp? Sorry to hear about your poor guy!

I can't answer your question about the welfair of your shrimp, but I can say that Duct Tape does wonders for sealing up holes made by filters/co2/heaters.

Just make sure you put something over the hole before you tape, don' want to expose your fish to the sticky side afterall:

It think that it is just a case that he found a way out and went for it, i think if you just leave him alone he should hopefully get over his ordeal. That is one of the joys of keeping things with legs, they do like to use them be it your tank or your carpet.
I hope he recovers OK

COVER UP THEM HOLES, i just use fish bags to fill in the gaps, but you could use anything.

Just to pop this in though it wasn't a fish or shrimp one of my turtles was an exceptional escape artist.
So far as to he "jumped" out of his tank which was a full 4 feet from top to floor and crawled about 30 feet into my living room, which must have been chilly because he was wedged under the radiator.

Heh, he either was cold or just has a very poor sense of direction.

My poor lil guy didn't make it tho; hubby kept an eye on him all day and he stopped breathing bout an hr ago. *sigh* Once I figure out a way to block off those spaces I'll get another; they are a joy to watch (cept when you find em on the carpet).

Duct tape is great - oh yes it is. I am a big fan of the stuff.. seals everything and gets rid of warts too.

But I have also found that the new glad press n seal stuff is not too bad either. For various reasons duct tape wasn't so much the option in my kitchen tank. I have been using the press n seal stuff quite successfully.

Though I would add it isn't as strong a hold as duct tape and and that would be my first choice.. oh yeah it comes in so many colors too. But when it isn't an option...

Sorry about your shrimp, Alli... I know you were fond of the little guy! :(

(Making a mental note to go home and cover up the holes around the filter...)

Oooo. I like the press n seal idea...I am the queen of duct tape for most things, but the thought of getting duct tape goo stuck on the top of the tank wasn't thrilling me.

Back
Top Bottom