Suicidal Silver Dollar Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V227

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last night my wife advised that she heard a loud splash in the display tank. The tank is located in the family room, allowing for constant viewing and monitoring. Fish splashing isn't exactly an uncommon event so I really wasn't concerned. Later, while activating the lunar lights, I noticed one of my prized Tiger Striped Silver Dollars lying on the bottom, dead as a door nail. Evidently the SD crashed hard against the glass tank lid, instantly killing itself.
I've been in this hobby a long time and never had a fish commit suicide. Upon examining the body, nothing unusual seen, other than a minor abrasion on its side. Occassional abrasions and scratches are common on SD's due to their flighty demeanor,
I haven't been able to solve this homicide. The tank is a 120 long. Although tankmates include some agressive cichlids, most are pint sized compared to the XL Silver Dollars and I've never observed them chasing the SD's. The surviving SD' s appear to be in good health, but so did the deceased one.
This thread is not earth shattering, I'm just a little bummed out losing an awesome, uncommon fish.

Attachments

• 20180302_093315.jpg
    20180302_093315.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 139
Silver dollars are known to be extremely skittish and have been observed smacking into tank walls, decor, as well as the lid. I have a feeling something frightened him and he made a beeline to the top where he crashed into the lid and ended up killing himself. Sorry for your loss. Something like this is one of the harder things for the aquarist to control as it is just in silver dollars' nature.

That's so true. This loss really stings. Tiger Stripes are very uncommon here and when they are available cost about $40 each. I bought them at a huge discount, they were infested with Ick. After nursing them back to health the SD's grew fast and had no problems until last night.
Oh well, that's not the first prized fish I've lost and probably won't be the last. Thanks for the reply.

Last night my wife advised that she heard a loud splash in the display tank. The tank is located in the family room, allowing for constant viewing and monitoring. Fish splashing isn't exactly an uncommon event so I really wasn't concerned. Later, while activating the lunar lights, I noticed one of my prized Tiger Striped Silver Dollars lying on the bottom, dead as a door nail. Evidently the SD crashed hard against the glass tank lid, instantly killing itself.
I've been in this hobby a long time and never had a fish commit suicide. Upon examining the body, nothing unusual seen, other than a minor abrasion on its side. Occassional abrasions and scratches are common on SD's due to their flighty demeanor,
I haven't been able to solve this homicide. The tank is a 120 long. Although tankmates include some agressive cichlids, most are pint sized compared to the XL Silver Dollars and I've never observed them chasing the SD's. The surviving SD' s appear to be in good health, but so did the deceased one.
This thread is not earth shattering, I'm just a little bummed out losing an awesome, uncommon fish.
It's usually unlikely to have a planted tank with aggressive cichlids, so even though I don't know your tank situation, I assume it's not planted. And I don't want to recommended anything that will darken your tank by eclipsing the light too much, but do you think considering a few floating plants may be helpful? I also don't know your surface agitation, but floating plants crossed my mind as a way to keep them from crashing into the glass cover.

I have seen one of my roselines have such an " attack" .
I believe I watched my fish have a heart attack or something similar [seizure ] ?
It is not impossible for fish to have life ending issues like us .
I see your silver dollar driving down the road and having a heart attack and crashing, with witnesses saying he just swerved and went off the road ..
I know I think about fish too much but I am way more inclined to believe the heart attack scenario over "suicide" ....
Sorry about your fish they are stunning.

Thanks CB & Dr.J.
The situation certainly could have been a health related life ending last leap.
Floating plants would add some pop to my tank but besides having my plant eating piranhas
I also have a very large school of Buenos Aires Tetras, which would view virtually every variety of plant as a salad.
You guys know that losing a fish every once in a while is just part of the hobby. Whats great is now I'm concentrating on what "new" fish I'll buy to fill the vacancy.

Thanks CB & Dr.J.
The situation certainly could have been a health related life ending last leap.
Floating plants would add some pop to my tank but besides having my plant eating piranhas
I also have a very large school of Buenos Aires Tetras, which would view virtually every variety of plant as a salad.
You guys know that losing a fish every once in a while is just part of the hobby. Whats great is now I'm concentrating on what "new" fish I'll buy to fill the vacancy.
Good to hear you're keeping a proactive attitude and enjoying your hobby the way you should. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom