Suitable Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I understand your very young however do you realise the cost implications of 'buying a bigger tank'? Do you have the room to upgrade to a larger tanks? Will your parents let you?
You cant plan to buy a fish then give it back when it gets too big - the only time that is acceptable IMO is when bad advice has been given at the lfs

Also I did try that but no one would give me any advice on the FISH and only the tanks. I get the fact that I cant have them all in the same tank. I will as I will buy them all as babies and when they grow bigger then I will buy a bigger tank :) I.e No point in putting a baby clown loach in a huge tank as it is only very small.
Tank stocking is given with the long term in mind. Technically you could get away with all kinds of stocking plans if you had all baby fish and it was only for a few weeks or months, so in many cases a short term stocking plan isn't very rigid. But, that perfectly fine group of fish will soon outgrow the tank they are in, and unfortunately it's often too little too late that we act and we end up with stunted fish, or bullied/beaten/killed fish because of it. Tank size/dynamics are a huge factor in how one figures out what he can and cannot stock, so it cannot be pushed aside as irrelevant.

I dont mean to give out bad info and also I am 13 years old.
That's no excuse, there are plenty of young people here who give good info. If you aren't sure about something, or know that it's not right, then don't give it. People, especially new ones who need help, have no idea whether the person that is answering their thread is just making stuff up or is a seasoned veteran with good advice. Just because you say IMO/IME doesn't mean you are allowed to just say whatever. If it's something questionable expect to get called on it, that's how we try to keep things accurate here, it's nothing personal. I appreciate your enthusiasm in the hobby and hope that you'll direct it towards a more positive role here.

LFS are able to keep fish in smaller than required tanks because their business is to sell them. The chances are that most LFS won't keep a fish longer than 2 weeks due to it being sold.

Fishy Aston. You mention about getting a larger tank when the fish need it. They will need a bigger tank straight away from the moment you introduce them all into a 100litre. That's why we're all banging on about overstocking.

This hobby is not just about buying whatever you like and throwing them into a tank together. It's about understanding the type of requirements your chosen fish have. For example do all of your list require the same pH, which fish can't tolerate any nitrate above 10ppm, are they all able to withstand the temperature you plan on running, do any of your list like fast/slow running waters etc.

This is how you begin to compile a stocking list for your tank taking every aspect of a fishes needs into your equation to determine which can survive together.

Jon

LFS are able to keep fish in smaller than required tanks because their business is to sell them. The chances are that most LFS won't keep a fish longer than 2 weeks due to it being sold.

Fishy Aston. You mention about getting a larger tank when the fish need it. They will need a bigger tank straight away from the moment you introduce them all into a 100litre. That's why we're all banging on about overstocking.

This hobby is not just about buying whatever you like and throwing them into a tank together. It's about understanding the type of requirements your chosen fish have. For example do all of your list require the same pH, which fish can't tolerate any nitrate above 10ppm, are they all able to withstand the temperature you plan on running, do any of your list like fast/slow running waters etc.

This is how you begin to compile a stocking list for your tank taking every aspect of a fishes needs into your equation to determine which can survive together.

Jon

Thanks

I am going to do a thread which contains all the required information , I know how to measure the tank e.t.c but I will put a picture up then you guys can you give a honest answer. I.e you cant have the golden barbs but this barb is less aggressive or something like that. I will make sure I include all of the information I will be a long list with all honest answers.

But I do have some Silver dollars in a 100 Litre tank but they are only small so that isnt a problem but last time people were moaning about them!

Also my other tank hold about 40 Litres I think

It has

Bristle Nose Pleco
Dwarf Pleco
5 Neon Tetra
2 Albino Corydoras

There is lots and lots of room in there still though and I will give the stock plan out.

I do research about them before I consider them as potential.
But on factual websites you dont get how they really are in a tank.

I will also give you all the results from all my water tests which I do quite a lot.
I also have a rota on how much i clean and feed and test the water on.
I will display that so if anything needs changing and will benift me and my fish.

I do care about my fish ! :angel:

Thanks AA!

Ok I understand your very young however do you realise the cost implications of 'buying a bigger tank'? Do you have the room to upgrade to a larger tanks? Will your parents let you?
You cant plan to buy a fish then give it back when it gets too big - the only time that is acceptable IMO is when bad advice has been given at the lfs

Yes my parents said when I require a bigger tank they said I can get one as I have the master bedroom in the house so there is plenty of room. They said I could even keep the the other 2 tanks aswell as the new big one! :cool:

I have to pay and save up for it but that doesnt matter :) :fish1:

Sorry but if you think keeping silver dollars in a 26 gal tank (and who knows what else is in there with them), regardless of how small they are, is fine, AND that you have room in a 10.5 gal tank with all the fish you mentioned (which is vastly overstocked) then you have a lot to learn I'm afraid, and unfortunately your fish are suffering because of it.

Can you post an accurate list of what you have NOW in each tank?

:facepalm: I can't read this anymore, my blood pressure is rising.

Please listen to those of us on this forum who are trying to help YOUR FISH. :nono:

Fishy Aston said:
There is lots and lots of room in there still though and I will give the stock plan out.

It isn't about whether there is still space for more fish!!! If it were, I could probably put another 15 discus in my tank, and I know that would be very very bad. It's about their bioload, its about their territory needs, its about THE FISH BEING HAPPY AND NOT BECOMING STUNTED AND DEFORMED BECAUSE SOMEONE PUT THEM IN AN INADEQUATE TANK!!!

And I don't care if you're only 13, I'm only 16. Being young doesn't make you any less responsible, you need to take the advice that you are being given here, or you will have lots of unhappy fish in unhappy water for a time, then you will have lots of dead fish. And the fact that you KNOW this, because we've told you, just makes it that much more cruel. UGH! :banghead:

Done with this thread, done with you.

I hope you begin to take advice. At the moment, however, it bounces off you like rain off an impermeable coat.

Best of luck.

I made similar stocking errors once, and I learned; I rehoused my fish.

Now I have much more fun with this hobby. Only after you attempt minimalistic stocking can you see the true behaviors of fish and nature.

Generally, a lightly (Or not overstocked) tank looks a lot nicer. Obviously, it is about the fish' happiness and health, but just for the look a 'not overstocked' tank looks nicer.

I personally would get rid of the single fish and have larger groups - the fish will be loads happier and it looks nicer. Whatever way you look at it, the tank will work IF you take lots of fish off your stock list.

I understand what you are saying about fish eventually being moved into a bigger tank, but what happens if you suddenly can't afford it. I know how that feels, I am younger as well, and it is really bad. Not being able to upgrade your fish is a bad feeling - so many fish grow fast. I know from experience. I am ashamed to say that when I was younger, we kept a single (I know they need groups) clown loach in a 50 litre tank. He never grew to his full size, got really stunted and died. He was never happy. I regret that now - but it was when we knew no different :( I am sure you don't want this to happen if you couldn't for whatever reason afford a bigger tank

Everyone who has replied here wants the best for the fish. I am sure you do as well, but even though it is really frustrating not having a large enough tank, it is sometimes necessary to not stock fish you want to. There are all sorts of fish that I would love, but I know I can't have them. It is a pain, but I guess that is the way life goes ;)

It will still be overstocked when they are babies.

Good Luck :)

My dad has a 110 Litre Tank.

It has

3 Tiger Barbs
1 3 Inch Bala Shark
2 Small Bala Sharks
2 Golden Barbs
3 Dwani Catfish
2 Monos
1 Adinos Pleco
1 Dwarf Pleco
2 Red Platys

Fishy Aston said:
Also my other tank hold about 40 Litres I think

It has

Bristle Nose Pleco
Dwarf Pleco
5 Neon Tetra
2 Albino Corydoras

AA!

This is too much stock for 40 litres.

I have a 35 litre with 7 danios and 2 loaches that I feel is over stocked. They're waiting to go into my 200.

BN pleco can grow to 6inches
Dwarf pleco 4 inches
Neon tetras 1-2inches
Albino cory's 4inches

That's 28inches of fish in 10 gallons of water.

You are over stocking.

This will be my last post in this thread as I can feel myself getting riled up and I don't want to loose my cool.

Jon

Ya and bala sharks are aggressive as they get bigger and need a minimum 90 gallons.

I'm not sure what anyone else can advise on here, despite being 13 you need to realize that the fish can't tell you they are unhappy. They may look happy but are surely not. I for one wouldn't wanna be in a cage that's not suited for me. I may be 29 and full grown but I know I wouldn't be happy in a 6ft tall by 3 ft cage. I'd go nuts. Put yourself in their fins and think how you would feel being unable to grow at a normal rate because your current conditions are holding back your growth rate.

Your dads tank is half the size of mine and I wouldnt even consider putting 1 bala juvenile in it. Don't take what we are saying as an attack against you, we are trying to educate you in the best possible way. We have all learned the hard way ourselves and therefor advise others to not make the same errors.

Just try and be more receptive in the advise given and you may think twice about what your doing at the moment and do what's right for your fish. It'll also help you in your future acquisitions.

I have one single question. Why do you refuse to listen to what everyone has to say? You say you "care about your fish" when your very next post says "i don't care about overstocking" the reason no one wants to answer you question about the fish, is because we have to address the inappropriate stocking first or even more problems will arise!!

I started In this amazing hobby 9 months ago. I'm 14 now. I learned Many many things on AA because I listened to what everyone says! I don't see why you can't do the same? Your age has nothing to do with fishkeeping, it's not an excuse. Please listen to us, we are not tying to hurt you or anger you. We simply want what's best for the fish. In this hobby it doset matter what you want, its what the fish NEED. This is nothing personal, we all just want to help! One last thing, please dont reply to this post "thanks :)" I mean this in the nicest way possible:)

jondamon said:
This is too much stock for 40 litres.

I have a 35 litre with 7 danios and 2 loaches that I feel is over stocked. They're waiting to go into my 200.

BN pleco can grow to 6inches
Dwarf pleco 4 inches
Neon tetras 1-2inches
Albino cory's 4inches

That's 28inches of fish in 10 gallons of water.

You are over stocking.

This will be my last post in this thread as I can feel myself getting riled up and I don't want to loose my cool.

Jon

The inch per gallon rule has too many exceptions to be used here I think

Back
Top Bottom