Suitable fish to go with a walking catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I'm asking this for a friend ,

She recently bought a tank and a walking catfish , but hasn't any idea what fish would be suitable to go with him, I know the tank he was in before he was with gourami , but you can only buy baby gourami here and I would worry the catfish might eat them as he's about 20cm long.. Also she's never had fish before so I would say her choices should be easy to keep fish ...

Please help

Thank you :)

This is the catfish he's awesome ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387279072.378211.jpg that was his previous tank which was far too small IMO ..

Hi mate, that is an awesome cat, very pretty. These guys get large I'm unsure as to an upper limit on the size but let's say a 90g is pretty minimum for an adult. As for fish to keep with him? Anything that won't fit in his mouth. Large plecs, possibly large silver dollars. They are typically omnivorous but can be voracious predators if there's handy bite size fish available.
Hope that's a help ;)

That thing is amazing they are illegal in Colorado which sucks but its awesome! I would say silver dollars are your best bet but them larger though since he's already pretty big. What size tank is it in now?

Hi he was in a 150 litre but now I think he's in a 250/300 litre .. But on a plus side she does have several ponds so if he does out grow her tank she can move him to one of those..

I will check out silver dollars and see if they are available here !

She was going to go with shubunkins or comets if nothing else is available will these be ok ?

Thanks so much for your advice

Possibly be ok, adults are pretty hefty and can defend themselves.

Back
Top Bottom