Suitable home for Dwarf Gourami's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all...I was wondering what is a sutiable home for adult dwarf gouramis? I'm very interested in them but do not have a tank larger than 12 gals :/ . Any information would be appreciated.

i think a 5 gallon is big enough for 1 im breeding them in my 10 and 5 gallons now (dont got male yet) (going to) so how many r u thinking about getting?

I will tell you my dwarf gourami experience and maybe it will help. I had one in a 10-gal and he seemed fine, except that there could be no other fish in there with him, as he would harrass them endlessly, and they would hide (cardinal tetras in one case- moved to the 55 where they cavorted gaily with the angels- white clouds in another case, again moved to the 55). He was perfectly happy in there by himself, it seemed, but when I moved HIM to the 55 with the angels and everyone else he was perfectly fine, and happily lives there to this day (see my gallery, he swims with the angel now). He does not bother any of the small fish in there at all.

I have another DG in a 15-gal and he actually killed all of his tankmates except corys (head/tail light tetras, lemon tetras). He is still in there with 3 corys and 2 giant mystery snails.

If you just want to keep the one fish then a 10 gal would be fine (I think 5 gals is too small for anything but maybe Endler's livebearer's or a single male betta). I love them for their color and personalities. Great bubble nest builders.

I have not kept Dwarf gourami's in less than 29 gallons, and only one at that time. They seem rather more aggressive to their own kind than larger gouramis. I now have two, one of which was 'abandoned' and I ended up taking off someone's hands. They're in a 90 gallon, and so far have had no issues, beyond a short bout of .. hrms.. trash talking :) They mind their own business and ignore each other now.

i think gouramis are fine in a 5 gallon if theres no other fish in there cuz mines fine

I agree; a 5g is too small for a dwarf gourami. Really its to small for anything but a betta or the Endler's as TankGirl said; there is just not enough moving space and a tank that size is more apt to wind up with water problems.

I do have 2 dwarf gouramis in my 10g (was 3 but one died of infection). They are fine together BUT my tank is very well planted and they have staked out different territories. They don't bother their tank mates (4 neon/cardinals, 2 otos and 2 flagfish - its overstocked but I do weekly water changes despite the fact its planted to keep up). Only the dominant one builds bubble nests btw. The third used to go wherever he wanted and the other 2 didn't care. Oh, and they beat the crap out of my betta when he was in there temporarily while we were out for xmas vacation.

Well thanks Allivymar and ferret. I was considering these over show quality bettas...I think I'll be heading with the bettas since I have invested hours and hours on studying how to breed them. It seems Gourami's are also (correct me if I am wrong) labernyth fish. The problem with breeding them would be...they can not be kept in jars (1/2 gal) like bettas.

Yes, they are labyrinth fish, but can't be kept in jars. It is easier to deal with their fry, though, because it is my understanding that you need hundreds of jars for the betta fry.

TankGirl...Yes you do need a ton of jars...after about 3months ( depends on the rate of growth and the spawn). I have read bettas can have anywhere from 40 - 500 fry. I have read so many places though, that some fry ALWAYS die no matter what is done. Older sibblings beat them out of food. I have never actually tried so I do not know for sure if thats true. People also make homes for the males that need to be jarred out of 12oz coke bottles...with holes in them and attach them with hangers to the side of tanks? Invetive ways :) . The fry are hardy though...its possible to spawn in 3'x2'x5' containers and raise them to jaring age. Females most of the time can live in a comunity take together once a pecking order is established. I'm not sure about how many to a tank...but with everything it varies on how often you do water changes etc.

Heres the website I learned about the shallow breeding methods (which I plan to do once I get around to my betta ideas lol)

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/page.asp?articleid=81

Anyhow...I have researched bettas way too much. Some of the are so gorgeous. For example...some of the "patrotic" bettas...They were crowntails with brigt very distencvite red white and blues...$170 a pair? I plan on buying some steal line bettas. Oh well...Anyhow I'll stop ranting now.

I have to add my two cents worth here. The Dwarf Gourami, Colisa lalia, can be kept in a 5 gallon tank successfully, though I'd certainly recommend at least a 10 gallon. I've found Dwarf Gouramis to be no more aggressive than any other gourami....especially if the tank has plenty of plants and/or other hiding places. Males are active chasers of the females when the male is 'in the mood'. It is always a good idea to have a place handy to put the female if the male won't take NO for an answer.

Thanks Fruitbat...I still believe I'm going to head for the bettas...just for the fun experince of breeding them and since I have a local breeder that could help me if I need it. Thanks so much though!

Back
Top Bottom