Sump & Refugium Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jllapin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am looking to create a sump and refugium for a new 75 or 90 gallon chichlid tank. I have a pretty good idea of how to design it, I plan to use some of the media you would put in a top hanging filter (sponge, charcoal, bio media). Most designs I have seen put the filter media before the plants, it seems to me it would be better suited as the last stage to keep the pump area debris free. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Sounds good to me. Great idea. I would suggest this though: Instead of making seperate compartments which can be hard just setup a regular tank with a deep bowl in the middle. Put the filter media in the bowl (minus charcoal as it is not needed and possible detrimental in planted tanks) and let the water overflow into the tank where you plant the plants!

Whatever you do, get the mechanical filter first. If you put it last, then waste will get all over your planted refugium (that is what you're trying to accomplish, right?). It doesn't really matter where you put biomedia for biological filtration. Other than that, you shouldn't need anything else.

What is your goal of this sump/refugium?

Back
Top Bottom