Sump design and Filtration Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aSmallcat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Not too long ago I converted a rimmed tank into a rimless one for the sake of showing it can be done and for aesthetic reasons as well. About a year afterwards I got permission from the boss to set it up! But in order to enhance my current setup further I want to turn my old 10 gallon tank into a sump for this new display. The display tank is 30 gallons.

That brings us up to speed on the project. The display tank has been tested and passed and I have drawn up a simple design of what I think will work for my 10 gallon sump.

As this is my first sump project and other than hang on back filtration method, I am looking for sump design tips and filtration media suggestions.

This is what I've got so far. Let me know what you think! (y)

Sump.gif

This is the tank I took the rims off of and intend to use as my new display.

03301f1c5c.jpg

2eb6678786.jpg

Fluid bed

To stir the media in the fluid bed chamber i'm hoping I can get away with only using the force of the incoming water from the overflow box on my display.

I'm thinking about using micro k1 or hel-x media.

Has anyone tried a fluid bed cycled by falling water? :confused:

I know I can't be the only one on this site to build a sump.. or to use filtration media..

I've gotten more attention with this same thread on a saltwater forum.
:huh::ermm::(

i've never done a sump before but was looking at doing one. from what i've read up on and choice of media. i would go straight from the overflow into a filter sock, water goes under then over a baffle into your main chamber with your fluid media you'll need and air stone as it won't stay fluid and moving. you'll want teeth like a wier on your next baffle to stop your media from escaping. with flow going over then under. this chamber is where i would put any chem filters, heaters and the pump back to the tank. i was going to do a similar settup when i first got my tank but its expensive to get good fluid media like K1. so i just went with a canister which was so much cheaper

I built a sump a few months ago when I was building my tank and stand. I opted for the first chamber to be a trickle wet/dry filter tower.IMG_4166.jpg

I built a sump a few months ago when I was building my tank and stand. I opted for the first chamber to be a trickle wet/dry filter tower.View attachment 300678

Looks like a decent set up you've got there. I was going to build a stand too but then I got a hand-me-down so I'm set there.

I'm not very familiar with the whole wet dry thing. How's it working for you?

Does it cause a lot of evaporation?

Looks like a decent set up you've got there. I was going to build a stand too but then I got a hand-me-down so I'm set there.

I'm not very familiar with the whole wet dry thing. How's it working for you?

Does it cause a lot of evaporation?

The trickle tower drawers are packed with biological media and grows a ton of beneficial bacteria, It can handle a large bio load. It also is virtually silent. The top shelf acts as mechanical filtration also, I clean the filter pad once a week or ever other week sometimes. As far as evaporation... I am not sure if it accelerates the process, I live in a hot dry climate so I do get a bit of evaporation, I keep a lid on my tank and sump to minimize it, I also installed an automatic water level filer so I never have to manually add water.

OP - The only thing I would change in your design would be to put the biomedia in the LAST section, not the first. I'm a stickler for water entering the biological section to be free of particulates. Then again, I understand the concept of fluidized media in that it is constantly moving and for the most part self-cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom