Sump/overflow explaination?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was considering a sump/overflow for my 20 tall (I think it is a sump or overflow anyway.... Its the box with lots of filter media in it) I want my tank to be perfectly filtered and have a perfect amount of bacteria. I also cant afford to buy a system so I would wanna build it myself. Help?

On a 20 gal tall I'm not sure I would put a sump on it but a canister filter would do awesome

A 20gal seems too small for a sump. Usually 20s are used to make sumps.

A sump works by siphoning water from the main tank to the sump underneath. Then the water goes through several filter media such as bioball, ceramic rings, gravel, filter floss and others. A pump then returns the water to the tank. The problem is if the power goes out the tank continues to drain so you need to have something to stop overflow. These are usually boxes in the main tank with slots an inch into the water that will only allow 1 inch of water to drain and wont overflow your sump.

Would a sump made out od a 10 or 5 gallon tank be good? Im worried a canister would be to much water flow and I dont really understand them...

Honestly the pump that you use in the sump is gonna be just as much water flow as a canister filter will be
Really? I just want my tank to be filtered as well as is possible. I know sumps provide great biological filtration. I also want to do something to make my water always crystal clear.

Imo you cant go wrong with a sump there are many added advantages to it Is a sump overkill on a 20 gallon I guess thats where a person could debate all day on that personally I would probably try it if I had a 20 gallon just because I like to do diy stuff like that As far as the water being crystal clear thats gonna depend on what filter media you use in the sump but also keep in mind a good canister filter can do this for you as well

Imo you cant go wrong with a sump there are many added advantages to it Is a sump overkill on a 20 gallon I guess thats where a person could debate all day on that personally I would probably try it if I had a 20 gallon just because I like to do diy stuff like that As far as the water being crystal clear thats gonna depend on what filter media you use in the sump but also keep in mind a good canister filter can do this for you as well
Can you recomend a way to make a good one for a 20 tall?

Do I have to have the live plants? I was planning on putting this under my tank in the stand. Its almost completely closed...

If you are going to do a sump I recommend a small pump like a small powerhead and no you don't have to use the plants just make sure you use filter floss then carbon media the go through your bio media like balls rings or discs then on the pick up tube for the pump I would put like a pond pump sponge filter on the end to stop anything missed and to slow the flow down

Thanks. Would a shattered clay pot work for a biological media? And Im kinda confused about how to make one. Like baffles and stuff.

what kind of tank do you have? fresh i'd assume. but it always helps to check. And how many fish, and what species? Part of the function of a sump is to balance ph at night, which is why you have plants and and a light that turns on at night. Of course it also increases water volume for your tank, and if you want to overstock your display you sump will help keep everything in check. Honestly, a 5g wouldn't hurt, but what it helps would be minimal. I'd do at least a 10g. You can put your heater in the sump, that would keep it out of the display tank, but you don't need the sand, cheato, or lights if you don't have a salt tank.

Yea a pot would work just don't use real small pieces and yea baffles is how you can google types of sumps I uploaded a pic of basic set up

Attachments

• image-2421123159.png
    image-2421123159.png
    21 KB · Views: 39
Ok thanks yall. I have a fw tank. I know this is bad but Im not sure how many fish are in it. All livebearers pretty much so I lost count. I want to get new fish anyway though so yea. I was gonna ask if the heater could go in the sump. What about the bubbles? The air stone doesnt work well with my sand but when I turned it off it seemed to hurt the tank... Then again that was when I had a tank crash due to infected plants....

Back
Top Bottom