Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to MattAquaBio
sunburst platies?

What are some indications that sunburst platies are mating?

Old 07-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Generally the male spends a lot of time chasing the female. You should know fairly quickly, within a week or two, if your platy is pregnant as they get pretty large and usually have a gravid spot.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

On the same subject, how many fry do platies normally have ? One of my females ALWAYS look pregnant - I thought she was just overeating LOL (I call her "fatty LOLOL) - but I saw one fry in the tank the other day and now I see a dot with fins (a second teeny fry). Do they normally give birth to all the fry at once or some here / some there ??
Old 07-02-2006, 02:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine seem to take about 24 hours (maybe just a little longer) to have them all. I can often find one or two, and then the next day find many more. Right now I have somewhere between 18-25 fry swimming around and they have been there for about 5 days now so I am assuming they are here to stay. The first batch I only found 4. My tank was planted then but not nearly as heavily as it is now, so I guess that explains the large number.

My platy is HUGE too. When she is about to give birth she looks like she is going to burst; but even afterwards she's a little fatty.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

lol i thought so, one of my sunbursts is chasin his girlfriend around and trying to stay literally right behind/beside her. Awesome.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, my dwarf coral platy has decided he wants a turn at "fatty" (who I guess I'll rename Fat Momma now). Talk about funny ! You can almost hear her saying "get outta here, runt"
Old 07-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

lol apparently she's the apple of everyones eye :P
Old 07-03-2006, 02:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yah, they are determined! If it is really incessant you may want to think about getting another female or two. They are best kept in ratios of 1 male to 2-3 females so that the females don't get too harassed. So far I have found that my male only bothers the female for a day or two immediately after she has given birth, but if that changes I will have to get another girl or two.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

i've got two males and two females so i'm gonna go buy four more females lol (i still have plenty of room left in my tank, its not half stocked).

Tags
platies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com