Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hadn't given that much thought! I know the Pigmy Cory will school and is more mid level but I was thinking they also scavenged around like they're cousins as well.
Don't think I'll add the male Sunsets after all; I value my peaceful tank, its so nice that no one fights or is aggressively protecting eggs/fry or harassing the females!!!!
But just for future reference is a 40g breeder too small to house 2 males?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have kept pygmy...yes pygmy...with neons, rams, platty, furcata rainbow, kuhli, betta, shrimps and a couple others i cant really remember. Maybe with the more hyper and bigger tetras like emperors or serpae they wouldnt do so well but i havent had exp with that. Mine arent very shy at all, they are always around looking for food and resting on leafy plants. Im not sure what yymv means.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Always use a mixture of flake food & shrimp pellets. Will switch out pellets for algae wafers and agg frozen brine shrimp as well.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkat View Post
Hadn't given that much thought! I know the Pigmy Cory will school and is more mid level but I was thinking they also scavenged around like they're cousins as well.
Don't think I'll add the male Sunsets after all; I value my peaceful tank, its so nice that no one fights or is aggressively protecting eggs/fry or harassing the females!!!!

It always depends on the other fish, decor arrangment, plants, and the individual fish. You never know with gourami. One can bee goodie miss too shoes and the next is evil. But its always good to quit while your ahead when it comes to having a harmonized tank.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgiantsRP View Post
I have kept pygmy...yes pygmy...with neons, rams, platty, furcata rainbow, kuhli, betta, shrimps and a couple others i cant really remember. Maybe with the more hyper and bigger tetras like emperors or serpae they wouldnt do so well but i havent had exp with that. Mine arent very shy at all, they are always around looking for food and resting on leafy plants. Im not sure what yymv means.
Your milage may vary. Fish are individuals, and what works in one tank may not be the norm.
The key to my point was the emperor tetras. They are an especially rambunctious tetra, well beyond your average neon or cardinal.
I should have clarified that pygmies are not always shy, but certainly can be with the wrong tankmates. Apologies if that came across as overly argumentative. I don't disagree that pygmies will work with some tank mates, I just don't believe emps qualify.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #16
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkat View Post
No, in my opinion it is not. You never know for sure, but if it was my tank, I would certainly try it out (assuming no bettas).
Old 02-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you both for your advice!! Its great that there are so many members here with experience on such a huge variety of fish that are always willing to share their fish keeping experiences.

Tags
gourami, question, ram, sunset

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com